Keg Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michangal

Reaction score
I had a thought today and I wanted some feedback from the experts. Supposed I finish up my fermentation and poor my brew into a keg. I don't add any sugar because I am going to force carbonate. I put the keg under 15-20lbs of pressure. Make sure the seals are all good and stick that keg in the closet. Will it keep? Does a keg have to be kept cold?

It will keep just fine... but watch out. Kegs don't really seal until they get some pressure on them. The lid needs some force to seat the o-ring. And the thing is that as soon as you walk away from that keg, the CO2 will dissolve into the beer and the actual pressure inside will drop to next to nothing. You would have to carb the beer up some first so the resting pressure stays high enough to hold a seal. To do this, set the pressure at your 15-20 lbs, vent the oxygen, and shake shake shake that keg until the regulator stops hissing. Then, it'll keep for a good long time.

Back