Keg storage for wedding in a few months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basisforaday

Reaction score
So I'm getting married in The middle of May and I'm in the process of brewing 5 homebrew kegs for the event, currently have one cold crashing, another almost done and one just brewed today. My question is what would be the best way to store these kegs if I do not have a way to keep them cold till the event? I will want to carb these kegs, transport them, cool them down the night before the wedding and then hook up gas and serve. I only have a small kegerator that I will be using for cold crashing all of these kegs so I won't be able to store kegs cold. Should I force carb at room temp? Prime with sugar? Thanks for your help!

Can you cold crash the primaries prior to racking each to its keg? If so, I'd do that to clarify and lessen the amount of trub in the bottom of the kegs.

With that many and no place to keep all of them chilled for force carbing, I'd be inclined to sugar carb them (using about 60% of the bottling amount of sugar) at room temp then transport/chill them at least a few days prior to serving. When you move them, all the gunk in the bottom of the kegs will re-suspend in the beer. You'll want to give it time to settle.

Yeah I think I'll have them spread apart time wise enough that i will be able to cold crash and add gelatin to each one prior to kegging. We will be getting to the wedding site a 6 days before the wedding so the kegs will have plenty of time to settle. I guess it sounds like priming with sugar seems to be the right way to go. I have never carbed a kegging with priming sugar, will there be a ton of sediment even with cold crashing and using gelatin?

Personally I would not sugar carb for this event. I would force carb so no sediment is around to cloud things. I would put kegs in horse trough with ice before the go through jockey box. Long day, cold beer over a long time equals happy guests. If you know the right person you can buy commercial chipped ice cheap in. A insulated 4 x4 x4 foot tote with heavy insulated top. This just makes thing go smoothly! Have a super wedding event!

Ok, so with force carbing do I just carb at room temp since I don't have the space to force carb cold? Then transport and cool down as much as possible the day of the wedding and then run through the jockey box?

I did 8 kegs last summer for my friend's wedding. I force carbed at room temp for each keg and the beer got rave reviews. I think I used around 30 psi but you have to calibrate that with your local temp.

Back