Keg Rust Cleaning....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nastee_brew

Reaction score
I recently purchased 4 ball lock kegs on craigslist. 3 were intact and in good shape. The 4th keg he threw in for free because it was missing the lid, and posts. Since it has been sitting around for years with no lid, the inside is rusted. I have been told that surface rust happens over time, my question is how can I clean deep in the keg? I can't fit my arm in. I was thinking about soaking in a cleaner, then dropping a chain in and moving it around. Anyone had any experience??

You probably want to grab a non metallic scrubby to wipe off any surface rust you can then passivate the stainless.

http://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=2300
Passivation
It’s a good idea to passivate your stainless steel equipment with an acid based solution. Filling the vessel with StarSan at 1oz per gallon of water or other acid passivation solution at the recommended strength and at a temperature of 70-80F for 20 minutes, followed by an air dry is all that is needed.

Back