keg priming & sediment??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I keep reading comments that using priming sugar (instead of force carbing) results in more sediment in the keg. Is this accurate?

The reason I question this is that I was under the impression that yeast growth under anaerobic conditions (as in finished beer) is pretty poor. I guess I assumed that the remaining suspended yeast ate up the sugar and that no significant yeast growth was going on.

Anyone have the answer?

Yes, there will be a bit more sediment.

Just like when you bottle the beer and add priming sugar, the yeast will become active and eat the sugar (and reproduce as necessary) before falling to the bottom when the mini-fermentation is finished. Fermentation is an anaerobic activity.

But, as far as how much more sediment? Not that much more than you get without adding priming sugar. It's such a small addition (about 2.5 ounces of priming sugar in a 5 gallon keg) that you won't get a ton more sediment. I'd say a barely perceptible amount.

You're much more likely to get more sediment if you keg before fermentation is completely done, before the beer is clear, and before the yeast has flocculated out than you will get from a little priming sugar in the keg.

From what I understand, once you tap your keg for the first time, all of that sediment should come out in your first pint. Dump that down the drain and the rest should be clear!

From what I understand, once you tap your keg for the first time, all of that sediment should come out in your first pint. Dump that down the drain and the rest should be clear!

I don't prime my kegs, but that is what i get. 1/2 pint dumped, and crystal clear beer after that.

I force carbonate, but my experience is that the first five or so pints will be cloudy, even after dumping the first one. The majority of the sediment will get blown out in the first pint or two, but there will be some residual for the next few. By the time I'm half-way through with the keg, my beers are crystal clear.

I naturally carbonate/condition all of my kegs for 3 weeks, after a 2 week primary and a 2 week secondary. I get very little sediment - I dump the first 1/2 pint or so, everything after that is good unless I move the keg around too much.

As Yooper said, the biggest contributor to sediment is bottling or kegging early.

Back