keg pressure after conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerluvva

Reaction score
Tapping my first keg just now, a 3 gallon corny. :mug::mug: I batch primed it for natural carbonation as I would for bottles, but all conditioning done in the keg for the past two weeks.

I am finding that I don't need to charge the keg with CO2 at all, and in fact I'd say that there is a ton of pressure in there, beer comes out pretty fast and is very foamy.

What's the typical practice for using or discarding the residual pressure from keg conditioning? I have some CO2 cartridges ready to roll, but right now they don't seem necessary ?

Not sure why but when you naturally carb in a keg you use half the amount of sugar for the same amount bottles. So your keg will be overcarbed. Pulling the relief valve a few times may help. Do it in steps and give it time to level out, there is a youtube video I just remembered on how to perfectly set an over pressurized keg here it is it may help never tried it

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why but when you naturally carb in a keg you use half the amount of sugar for the same amount bottles.

interesting, have never heard that. thanks for the video. I guess I will just let more pressure out with the release and see how that works, and then if the pressure should get too low I'll charge with one of my cartridges.

The guy in the video has a real kegerator setup...presumably with a dedicated Co2 tank...what I do is keep my corny in my normal fridge, then tap it when I'm ready to drink. which is about now :D for cO2 I just have one of those hand-charger things, not a tank & regulator.

Back