Keg post problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
So I finally cleaned up, sanitized and pressurized the last 2 kegs from a recent batch of 5 I bought. One of the kegs has a leaky out post. It's leaky from the poppet and from the bottom of the post where it meets the keg. It's a straight Cornelius keg, with no other markings or names. So I went to order a new out post, but the Cornelius posts don't look like what is currently on this particular keg. They look just like Firestone posts. I have 7 kegs total, 4 are various Cornelius (3 straight cornelius and 1 super champion) and 3 are Firestone Challenger VI. The only keg with the "standard" cornelius posts is the Super Champion. All of the other kegs have the same type of posts, minus two of the cornelius kegs that have the 12 point star type gas post. Below is a picture of the post in question.

IMG_20151028_211234_zpsaf8nyluq.jpg

So, which type of post do I need for this keg? Is the post that is on there not right? Does a Firestone post even fit on a Cornelius keg? Wondering if my other kegs have the incorrect post on them as well, but I've ran one of them through my kegerator twice without issues and the other two I pressure tested and they are now naturally carbing a Bell's Two Hearted ale clone. Just checked them and they both have some pressure to them after only 3 days of naturally carbing with a few initial bursts of 30 PSI, so they seem OK.

Have you looked at the o ring that should be attached the the stump under the keg post? What about some keg lube on it?

Not all keg posts are interchangeable, you need to make sure the threads are the same.

A keg post itself should never go bad unless its physically deformed and you just need a new poppet and o rings.

Thanks.

I replaced all o-rings and poppets on every keg. Each o-ring received some keg lube as well. The keg posts also threaded on easily. Was easy to thread on by hand, and then snugged done with a wrench. But it looks like a Firestone post is about 1/32" bigger than a cornelius post. Guessing that a Firestone would easily thread onto a Cornelius but not the other way around? Gas post is fine with no leaking. If it was only leaky at the poppet I wouldn't be worried with replacing the post. But since it is also leaking at the bottom of the post, I'm thinking it needs replaced. Just need to figure out what post to get.

Stopped at Lowes today to try and find some 5/8 - 18 or 19/32 - 18 nuts to confirm the thread size, but no luck on finding either size.

Used a corny post from one of buddies keg. Fit fine, so I ordered a set. Hopefully that'll take care of the leaky post.

Back