Keg Now or Wait Another Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahariton

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Triple 2 weeks ago and was planning on leaving in primary for three weeks then kegging.

Made a 2 step starter and the yeast did their job in a hurry (WLP 500). OG was 1.082 and is now 1.010. Started fermentation at 65 and slowly ramped up to 72.

Is there any benefit to leaving in the carboy for another week, or am I good cold crashing and kegging now?

Thanks

Andy

Depends how it tastes. Some of the off-flavors can be cleaned up by yeast at room temp. If you like how it tastes now and want to drink it fast, keg it! Otherwise have some patience and give it a week to see how much it improves (if it doesn't you'll know for next time!)

So long as your gravity isn't moving over 2-3 days at all, then it's done and could be kegged up. There might be a little bit of benefit taste wise in waiting, but the important thing is that fermentation has ceased completely and gravity readings over time will tell you that.

Sounds like it's worth waiting the extra week - thanks for the input

What does it taste like now? High gravity beers and especially ones using Belgian yeasts benefit from aging to develop the more complex flavor profile.
You can bulk age in secondary or bottle age. If you like the way it tastes, keg it now.

Truly, I'd wait. Or bulk age in the keg. That beer usually appreciates not being rushed.

Latest posts

Back