Keg lost seal and sitting uncarbed for months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a corny keg of stout I was aging to let the flavors meld. Well today I went to see how it tasted and when I hooked up the CO2 the lid started to hiss and would not seal. This keg has been sitting uncarbed and open to the atmosphere for months. No telling what state the beer is in as it has been exposed to the atmosphere. Should I just pitch it and call it a learning experience? Curiosity wants me to taste it but it may also be rather moldy if it has been open that long. What would you do?

Mark

I had a corny keg of stout I was aging to let the flavors meld. Well today I went to see how it tasted and when I hooked up the CO2 the lid started to hiss and would not seal. This keg has been sitting uncarbed and open to the atmosphere for months. No telling what state the beer is in as it has been exposed to the atmosphere. Should I just pitch it and call it a learning experience? Curiosity wants me to taste it but it may also be rather moldy if it has been open that long. What would you do?

Mark

It wasn't sealed tightly, but that doesn't mean that it was open to the atmosphere either. Maybe little oxygen/air got in.

There is only one way to know! Try a glass, and report back. I bet it's pretty good, but perhaps a bit oxidized.

So I hooked up the gas and carbed it back up. It is a little oxidized but still very drinkable. Being a stout helps as the dark roasty flavors hide most of the oxidation. Thanks for all of the help.

Latest posts

Back