Keg & Line Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
While placing a online order recently, I was looking over the different keg & line cleaners. I built my kegerator just over a year ago and have been using Oxi Clean Free, water & StarSans, in that order, to clean everything. I put each in the keg, pressure it, then let it flow from the keg, through the lines and out the tap. So far all the lines look new, no stains or build up. Kegs have no buildup and, after 4 batches in each keg, have had no bad taste. To any with more exp, this sound ok? Am I missing something? Suggestions?

While placing a online order recently, I was looking over the different keg & line cleaners. I built my kegerator just over a year ago and have been using Oxi Clean Free, water & StarSans, in that order, to clean everything. I put each in the keg, pressure it, then let it flow from the keg, through the lines and out the tap. So far all the lines look new, no stains or build up. Kegs have no buildup and, after 4 batches in each keg, have had no bad taste. To any with more exp, this sound ok? Am I missing something? Suggestions?

I clean my lines at the same time as cleaning a keg. I do a thorough clean of the keg with PBW, rinse and sanitize. then push PBW through the keg lines, then water, then StarSans. I have spare kegs so use these. I let the PBW sit in the lines for 20 minutes or so.

I guess it is the same as yours. My only concern is I'm not sure that this is cleaning the nooks and crannies in the taps (Perlick). I will occasionally pull the taps apart and completely clean.

^^^This! Only I use B-Brite and clean my legs then flush through the lines via the keg. Rinse the keg well & rinse the lines, again from the keg, sanitize the keg w/ StarSan w/ final flush through the lines.
Don't forget to press on the liquid tap tap pet to drain the liquid line. Apply just a burst of CO2 to seal the keg.
I do disassemble the taps every few months for cleaning.

^^^This! Only I use B-Brite and clean my legs then flush through the lines via the keg. Rinse the keg well & rinse the lines, again from the keg, sanitize the keg w/ StarSan w/ final flush through the lines.
Don't forget to press on the liquid tap tap pet to drain the liquid line. Apply just a burst of CO2 to seal the keg.
I do disassemble the taps every few months for cleaning.

I leave the sanitizer in thebeer lines until I either pour a beer or hook up a new keg (when I have an open space). I've heard people say starsan can damage the lines but I haven't had any issues.

Back