Keg line cleaning problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousFishes

Reaction score
I have been trying (and failing) to simplify the process of cleaning the beer lines in my kegerator. I'm sure there's a simple solution and hope y'all can lead me to it.

First off, here's my kegerator setup for cleaning:
KegeratorLinesCleaning2.png

I am trying to create a closed loop system that will recirculate PBW and later Starsan to prepare my taps for a new brew. I have this ball lock post connected to a pond pump. It connects as follows:
Post > adapter > hose barb > hose > pump.
BallLockPostAndDisconnect.jpg

The pond pump is in the bucket and is meant to push cleaning solution up into my tap line via the ball lock disconnect that usually is serving delicious beer. Then, with the tap open, a length of hose is to return the solution back into the bucket. My hope was that I could let it just cycle for 15 minutes or so for each line, leveraging a single batch of PBW/Starsan for squeaky clean taps.

I think the source of the problem is that the poppet in the post falls down below the line of the post when there's no pressure. And perhaps the pressure from the pond pump is insufficient?

BallLockPost.jpg

I don't think I fully understand mechanically how the poppet works with the male part that is inside the ball lock disconnect. It seems both need to be depressed in order to allow liquid to travel. There must be some sort of equilibrium of pressure that allows both to be slightly depressed at the same time? Has anyone encountered and solved the problem I'm facing?

I use a similar setup, but I screwed the post onto a flare fitting (don't remember the actual size). The flare seems to keep the poppet in place for me. Take your post to the hardware store and find something to fit. This should work.

Failing that you could always use CO2 to push Oxy/PBW out of a keg you are cleaning through the lines and then do the same with StarSan. Works well for me but then I don't have a monster kegerator like yours...

I do have the post connected to a flare fitting, see more detailed view below:

FlareFitting.jpg

I actually have two assemblies just like this. The one pictured is for the post I purchased at my LHBS. Another for the posts that are on the Torpedo kegs I've bought from Morebeer. Neither are working...

Okay... simple answer for you... on the ball lock disconnect, unscrew the top and remove the spring and plastic piece that would normally depress the poppet on the post when it's connected up (keep that stuff aside somewhere safe!)... now just remove the poppet from the post and you're good to go.

What @jmark said should do it for you. Another thing you should experiment with is whether or not to have the outlet hose submerged in the cleaning solution. Sometimes I can get a better flow when I don't have the outlet hose submerged.

I do something similar to your setup except I have a hose barb to MFL flare fitting coming off the pump. That way, I can unscrew the ball lock QD and hook the beer line right to that fitting coming from the pump. Then I just disassemble the ball lock QD and soak it in PBW.

BTW, that's a badass kegerator.

I just put beer line cleaner in a spare keg and push with CO2. I don't recirculate. Leaving the cleaner in the lines awhile is good enough I only have two taps, and disassemble them and clean them every keg change.

Latest posts

Back