Keg leaks, stops after pressurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I have a used keg that regardless of the lid's best seat, will drip its contents when turned upside down. But when pressurized, the leaking stops. I was wondering if this was pretty standard with used kegs? Should I try and get it replaced?

Thank you

Pretty much standard. Head pressure is required to keep the - well, head, properly seated. Remember that for most homebrewers we're talking cornies or pinlocks. These are soda kegs that were designed for 50psi as a standard carbonation. For beer, the real concern is when you have a head gasket that is leaking when you're at serving pressure. I often have beers were I "pull the pin" to release excess gas due to over carbonating. Get the PSI too low and you can unseat the head and develop a leak. PITA. . .

cannman, yes that sounds about right, for the lid to seal the keg needs head pressure on it, so no need to replace it. so just fill, install lid, pressurize, (hard part) wait for beer to carb, then drink :mug::drunk:

Back