Keg King Malt Muncher 3 Frustrations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Milled grain on Friday. No, I should write attempted to mill grain on Friday. I'm very frustrated with the Keg King Malt Muncher 3. No matter how I set the roller gap (my system uses a loose 0.045 gap) the mill either stops turning or only turns 1 roller (in effect I now have a 1 roller mill. I know there is only 1 driven roller. I'm writing about the 2nd top roller binding and then not turning.)

After using in March (and I had also had problem in March too. Actually, I've had problems every time I've used the Keg King MM3) I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned everything. Normally, I clean the rollers/hopper, etc without completely disassembling everything.

Anyone recommend anything I can do to get the Keg King MM3 to reliably work before I put the frustrating thing out by the curb for trash pickup?

I appreciate any helpful input.

Thanks.

I bought one of these 2 weeks ago, and I have had a good experience so far.

Do the rollers spin freely? What is the gap between top two rollers?

Most mill binding problems have to do with the end blocks not being parallel with each other and therefore not being perpendicular to the roller. Get yourself a good quality square and check it in all directions. What kind of base do you have it mounted to? Off kilter situations can be due to a warped or flexible base or just being off on the mounting hole locations.

July 10, 2020 update: I painstakingly cleaned and set the mill's gap (0.045) a few weeks ago after I used it. When I used the mill today to mill grain and maize for the July 11, 2020 brew, the top non-driven roller bound. Turning the roller by hand was possible. Turn the motor back on, feed some grain and the non-driven roller bound again. Was a slow, slow process.

I finally dumped all the grain into a 5 gallon bucket, turned the mill over and, from the bottom, turned the two non-driven rollers until they freely moved. Then the mill worked fine and the remaining grain, probably nearly 12 lbs, milled without problems in a few seconds.

Milled grain on Friday. No, I should write attempted to mill grain on Friday. I'm very frustrated with the Keg King Malt Muncher 3. No matter how I set the roller gap (my system uses a loose 0.045 gap) the mill either stops turning or only turns 1 roller (in effect I now have a 1 roller mill. I know there is only 1 driven roller. I'm writing about the 2nd top roller binding and then not turning.)

After using in March (and I had also had problem in March too. Actually, I've had problems every time I've used the Keg King MM3) I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned everything. Normally, I clean the rollers/hopper, etc without completely disassembling everything.

Anyone recommend anything I can do to get the Keg King MM3 to reliably work before I put the frustrating thing out by the curb for trash pickup?

Thanks.
Keg King has never sold this product outside of Australia so what you have is most likely counterfeit.

This is counterfeit?
Keg King MM3.jpg

Purchased from here
http://www.morebeer.com/products/malt-muncher-3-roller-grain-mill.html

I am confused now.
Keg King’s name is being used by an entity in China and we do not supply Morebeer. Go to www.kegking.cn and you see for yourself. They have nothing to do with the real Keg King. BTW if you check out our site www.keg-king.com.au you will find our Malt King is a much better milling product. Just so you know our trademarks such as Kegmaster, Fermentasaurus, Beverage Doctor and many more are also used without our permission by this business which is based in China but trades through a post office box in Hong Kong. Quite unethical that customers believe they are getting a Keg King product when they are not.

Well that's a big bag of suck right there. Seems like the only safe move for a USA customer is to avoid anything branded with Keg King...or Kegmaster, Fermentasaurus, or Beverage Doctor.

Meanwhile, if I was the OP I'd find a way to return that mill for full refund...

Cheers!

I use the base sold for the mill.

Normally, when I've run into a problem it's due to grain/etc getting stuck between the roller(s) and the mill enclosure. Stuck grain/etc prevents the roller(s) from turning.
The guides on the lower part of the hopper should prevent grain from getting in the ends of the roller unless you assembled the hopper backwards as a lot of people have, a year ago the photos on the beverage factory's website of the rebranded keg king 3 roller showed the hopper guides backwards and pointing out... maybe post a pic of how you have yours assembled? Didnt you start a tread just like this a while back about the same thing? I have dejavu because I remember suggesting you check this before. anyway the following picture below shows the hopper assembled INCORRECTLY with the guides sticking out that are suppose to face inward and keep the grain out of the ends of the rollers.I13.JPG
I13.JPG

This picture is how the tabs are supposed to be positioned. The maltmunchier 3 and kegco 3 roller mill are one in the same... Your mill is not technically counterfeit because they are really generic and all come from the same chinese supplier that makes the cereal killer mills. ( you can place a bulk order for these with whatever brand name you want laser etched on them through alibaba) The reason keg king is claiming cointerfiet is there was some sort of drama between different employees in the company and some selling keg king products through different channels (graymarket) without the profits going through proper distribution channels... Strangly this went on for years without keg king doing anything about it and then one day there seem to be an internal split in the company and spin off company (kegland) was born selling most of the same chinese made good as keg king... Keg king (understandably) does want to support this stuff that it did not officially sell through proper channels. the folks who distributed your mill are the folks at kegland from my understanding.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's a big bag of suck right there. Seems like the only safe move for a USA customer is to avoid anything branded with Keg King...or Kegmaster, Fermentasaurus, or Beverage Doctor.

Meanwhile, if I was the OP I'd find a way to return that mill for full refund...

Cheers!
What is a business to do in order to counter this sort of thing? Its almost impossible to get redress for this in China. Whilst some American businesses do not really care about doing the right thing and their customers are happy to remain ignorant in regard to the origin of what they buy then it will continue the same way. We do offer our authentic products through The Beverage People in California currently and hope to add more authorised distributors soon. Sadly a lot of what Americans have bought In the past with our names on it did not come from Keg King at all. So I agree that this individual and others like him are right to demand a full refund. It’s disgusting to see our Logo and our names used this way especially after we made American resellers aware that it was not right to do this. Keg King prides itself on making good products for home brewIng and are waiting for American Home Brewers to support ethical distributors so that we can get good equipment into their hands like we have done in Europe already.

What is a business to do in order to counter this sort of thing? Its almost impossible to get redress for this in China. Whilst some American businesses do not really care about doing the right thing and their customers are happy to remain ignorant in regard to the origin of what they buy then it will continue the same way. We do offer our authentic products through The Beverage People in California currently and hope to add more authorised distributors soon. Sadly a lot of what Americans have bought In the past with our names on it did not come from Keg King at all. So I agree that this individual and others like him are right to demand a full refund. It’s disgusting to see our Logo and our names used this way especially after we made American resellers aware that it was not right to do this. Keg King prides itself on making good products for home brewIng and are waiting for American Home Brewers to support ethical distributors so that we can get good equipment into their hands like we have done in Europe already.

Like so many things these days, that sucks.

I certainly feel your angst and wish I had some positive response. Honestly had no idea companies like morebeer.com were sourcing trademark-infringing products. Indeed I expect the only way to straighten this stuff out is to go straight to the distributors with legal notices at least making them aware of what they're doing...

I certainly feel your angst and wish I had some positive response. Honestly had no idea companies like morebeer.com were sourcing trademark-infringing products. Indeed I expect the only way to straighten this stuff out is to go straight to the distributors with legal notices at least making them aware of what they're doing...
Thanks for your understanding. Honestly it’s hard to do legal action in a country far from ours when all we want to do is to use our resources into making better value products for people like you and not blow those funds on chasing down people who sell stuff with our name on it but no sourced from us. We appreciate the chance to make it known to people who spend their hard earned bucks on stuff that is not our product in the belief they are getting Keg King. In the US the Homebrew market seems to be dominated by a few bigger players who prefer to deal with the Chinese and buy from www.kegking.cn where they can get the lowest prices. In Europe we found it much easier to get distributors who valued quality and want to be sure they were getting the right thing. Yes there are others there who sell stuff from www.kegking.cn but they are now losing ground as we are getting the real stuff into Europe. We are also quite wary of Reviewers with YouTube channels, etc who have undeclared associations with suppliers of stuff that did not come from us but was copied. We are not the only ones whose stuff gets copied. Eventually a lot more will come out and we hope that people will wake up and that we can be there with good and reliable kit for them. Feel free to join Keg King Connect on Facebook btw if you are interested in our products and what we do. If you ever come to Australia we would love to have you visit us. We have a couple of Americans on board here who help to keep us tuned in with the wonderful beer scene in the US. Over 70% of our staff are brewers and we love what we do.

This picture is how the tabs are supposed to be positioned. The maltmunchier 3 and kegco 3 roller mill are one in the same... Your mill is not technically counterfeit because they are really generic and all come from the same chinese supplier that makes the cereal killer mills. ( you can place a bulk order for these with whatever brand name you want laser etched on them through alibaba) The reason keg king is claiming cointerfiet is there was some sort of drama between different employees in the company and some selling keg king products through different channels (graymarket) without the profits going through proper distribution channels... Strangly this went on for years without keg king doing anything about it and then one day there seem to be an internal split in the company and spin off company (kegland) was born selling most of the same chinese made good as keg king... Keg king (understandably) does want to support this stuff that it did not officially sell through proper channels. the folks who distributed your mill are the folks at kegland from my understanding.View attachment 689024
Just to set the record straight here. The senior management of Keg King was unaware of its name being used in China until late 2017. Once it was known two employees were terminated on legal advice and civil action initiated. Keg King was not aware that its name was being used by the Chinese entities until that time. Keg King has and still is trying to ensure that the use of its names and trademarks without permission is stopped. Those businesses who were buying products branded with our names and trademarks were advised and whilst some did the right thing others have continued to use our names and trademarks. The mill in question here is not something we have sold internationally. We only wish to deal with reputable resellers and view with disgust how our name has been used by a Chinese business. I am sure that people who have a sense of decency would share our disgust and avoid buying products which have such a dubious origin. You can view www.kegking.cn to see the associations and draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for your understanding. Honestly it’s hard to do legal action in a country far from ours when all we want to do is to use our resources into making better value products for people like you and not blow those funds on chasing down people who sell stuff with our name on it but no sourced from us. We appreciate the chance to make it known to people who spend their hard earned bucks on stuff that is not our product in the belief they are getting Keg King. In the US the Homebrew market seems to be dominated by a few bigger players who prefer to deal with the Chinese and buy from www.kegking.cn where they can get the lowest prices. In Europe we found it much easier to get distributors who valued quality and want to be sure they were getting the right thing. Yes there are others there who sell stuff from www.kegking.cn but they are now losing ground as we are getting the real stuff into Europe. We are also quite wary of Reviewers with YouTube channels, etc who have undeclared associations with suppliers of stuff that did not come from us but was copied. We are not the only ones whose stuff gets copied. Eventually a lot more will come out and we hope that people will wake up and that we can be there with good and reliable kit for them. Feel free to join Keg King Connect on Facebook btw if you are interested in our products and what we do. If you ever come to Australia we would love to have you visit us. We have a couple of Americans on board here who help to keep us tuned in with the wonderful beer scene in the US. Over 70% of our staff are brewers and we love what we do.

There is more to this story. Its not just morebeer... companies like Williams brewing are still offering these mills as well as maltmunchiers yet you will no longer find them or intertap faucets on the kegking.au site. Where is the mention of the former Keg king that employees that allegedly started all this?

Thanks.
I have never had a problem getting a refund from Morebeer. If they have to give refunds for all the knock-offs they sell they'll stop doing business with them.

I have never had a problem getting a refund from Morebeer. If they have to give refunds for all the knock-offs they sell they'll stop doing business with them.

The malt mills morebeer sells are KegLand branded, no?

Attachments

• 20200712_112911.jpg
    20200712_112911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70

I only bought mine from morebeer a couple months ago, and it has a the Kegland branding.

Everything was packaged disassembled, and there would be no way for them to see the branding before they passed it on.

Clearly something wrong is happening if those mills are going out in violation of copyright laws, and it needs to be fixed. That said, is it possible this is an honest mistake? Are you saying that the branding is the problem or the design? Are you taking issue with the Kegland, Kegco, Cereal Killer, etc.?

My understanding is that they are all the same with different branding. Is it possible someone just shipped the wrong name plate?

Why does it takes so long to get Keg King products in the US? There is clearly enthusiasm.

Last edited:
There is more to this story. Its not just morebeer... companies like Williams brewing are still offering these mills as well as maltmunchiers yet you will no longer find them or intertap faucets on the kegking.au site. Where is the mention of the former Keg king that employees that allegedly started all this?
You will find plenty of mention of Intertap faucets on the Keg King website. This trademark is registered in Australia and belongs to us. Morebeer and Williams get their stuff from the people in China who copied our name and run it as www.kegking.cn and have used this for some years to sell stuff with our names and trademarks on there.

I only bought mine from morebeer a couple months ago, and it has a the Kegland branding.

Everything was packaged disassembled, and there would be no way for them to see the branding before they passed it on.

Clearly something wrong is happening if those mills are going out in violation of copyright laws, and it needs to be fixed. That said, is it possible this is an honest mistake? Are you saying that the branding is the problem or the design? Are you taking issue with the Kegland, Kegco, Cereal Killer, etc.?

My understanding is that they are all the same with different branding. Is it possible someone just shipped the wrong name plate?

Why does it takes so long to get Keg King products in the US? There is clearly enthusiasm.
You are right there is plenty of enthusiasm from home brewers and for our party we would be delighted to be able to do more for them. Hardly a day goes by when we don’t get enquiries about our high quality PET fermenters and more. However until we can find US businesses who are willing to take on the distribution its a bit hard especially in the current situation. From what we see home brewers in the US are paying quite high prices for often rather poor quality goods. The companies who dominate your home brewing market are doing well for themselves so they don’t feel the need to change or add anything new. This might change as the trade war between the US and China keeps ramping up. We would love to hear from brewers in the US who might know of more companies willing to offer our products. Maybe someone out there could start a home brewers co-op to do bulk buys of our gear and we would certainly help with that. In the meantime the Beverage People in California have started to offer some of our products and we will support them strongly wherever we can.

The malt mills morebeer sells are KegLand branded, no?
Beats me, I've never bought a mill from Morebeer but I have purchased several other products. Pumps, chillers, fittings, etc. I've had to return a few items over the years and they never gave me any grief. So, tell Morebeer to stick it where the sun don't shine.😈

Last edited:
I take exception thinking/believing I purchased a Keg King mill when I received a Chinese counterfeit.

I'm sure I'm as p*ssed any anyone paying for the real thing and getting a knock off.
Thats where your mistaken, They are ALL THE SAME CHINESE MILL keg king just resold that same chinese mill along with everyone else! they all order them from the same supplier in china with custom etching on the side now. (I used to have the link to the actual supplier doing this but cant find it) The issue here is due to a split in the company you have one part that changed to kegland and the other side that wont honor any of (thier genuine products) that were sold to the US market previously by the people that left leg king and formed kegland. Basically you are getting the short end of the stick as far as support because of a former dispute at keg king and the results. im not sure where kegking.cn fits into all this but I know that it likely has something to do with the same former kegking.au employees that left and now work for kegland if in fact that story which was told by Will in the intertap thread is correct, Which is why I say there more to this whole thing than whats been shared in this thread.

These companies like keg king dont actually make most of thier own products if any...
If you dont believe me heres the NEW keg king mill avaliable on alibaba for 70-100 each depending on order volume made by Vulcan.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.3f957503UAuqBKKegland is moving on to thier new Maltzilla mill so it looks like the "maltmuncher" mill is now being marketed under that term by multiple distributors without the kegland or keg king branding if you look at williams brewing Maltmuncher Three Roller Mill and amazon sellers like this Homebrewers Outpost - MILL710 MaltMuncher 3 Roller Grain Mill:Amazon

This is the same thing thats happened with multiple chinese items that kegking used to sell as thier own like thier original intertap faucets which they no longer sell but you can still buy from other places like kegland...

Last edited:
Thats where your mistaken, They are ALL THE SAME CHINESE MILL keg king just resold that same chinese mill along with everyone else! they all order them from the same supplier in china with custom etching on the side now. The issue here is due to a split in the company you have one part that changed to kegland and the other side that wont honor any of (thier genuine products) that were sold to the US market previously by the people that left leg king and formed kegland. Basically you are getting the short end of the stick as far as support because of a former dispute at keg king and the results.

These companies like keg king dont actually make most of thier own products if any...
If you dont believe me heres the NEW keg king mill avaliable on alibaba for 70-100 each depending on order volume.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.3f957503UAuqBK
Now that sounds more like it.

In a nutshell Morebeer should be the one supporting the customers on issues with this.

As far as trying to pinpoint the actual problem here I will say this again only because Ive seen more than a couple times where people had the same issues as what was reported here, Check the position of the tabs and make sure they are installed correctly to be able to keep the grain away from the side walls and ends of the rollers as they were designed to do. also make sure the adjustable roller isnt 180 degrees out of phase and not parallel. when adusting this roller one side needs to be turned clockwise and the other end counterclock wise otherwise the roller is not parallel and will intermittently bind. There are reports of this same issue with many 2 roller mills. these suggestions were given here 3 Roller Mill
and this thread discusses the importance of the lower tabs to stop binding.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/3-roller-monster-mill-help.255840/
Edit I just found yet another thread you started in regards to this last year and see you do have the tabs right... I would normally suggest pursuing it with morebeer but since its been about a year now I see why you've brought the branding support argument into it. Malt Muncher 3 PITA

Last edited:
I didn't bring any branding argument into anything. I was reacting to the information provided by the Keg King CEO in his posts.
True, I stand corrected and apologize. But The ceo of keg king is being misleading in stating your product is an inferior knock off when in reality it likely came from the same pile that was made for distribution to an Australian keg king customer but instead found its way to you possibly when keg king stopped distributing them itself and left the manufacturer with extras already branded, who knows. these could have gotten slipped in with newer otherwise branded stock they now sell.
I agree morebeer should step in and make it right since keg king doesn't support US customers that obtained their products through gray market or back channels and its unfair to ask them to support a product they never sold. Years ago when I worked as a xerox tech, we ran into a similar problem with xerox branded toner cartridges that were made by a company called rank in India for xerox overseas finding their way into our US market and much lower prices. Xerox had a hell of a time figuring out how to address the situation since it was geniune xerox toner, just not for this side of the world where they had a different company making, packaging and branding it. In this case you have the same product from the same manufacturer that presumably found its way where it shouldnt have due to mismanagment / control or fraud within the original keg king company where an employee or employees at the time legally filed the paperwork to distribute these products in other regions with said branding but whithout others in the company somehow knowing for years..

Last edited:
Back