Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this forum!

the ineternet if you take it lightly, got me from 63% effec to 95%...and instantly carbed beer, and we'll see how the fan in the fridge gets it ready to drink in a day instead of two-three....

let's have a good carbed beer together! :mug:

the ineternet if you take it lightly, got me from 63% effec to 95%...and instantly carbed beer, and we'll see how the fan in the fridge gets it ready to drink in a day instead of two-three....

let's have a good carbed beer together! :mug:
Jesus, 95%?! I'd be happy if I didn't have mission control problems every time I kegged a beer! I'm currently kegging my latest brew, a Kveik Hazy IPA. I had it cold crashing for 3 days. Today, when I pulled it from the mini fridge, I immediately the blow off tube had slipped out of my star stan bottle. So I'm not sure how many days it's been exposed to oxygen :-( Figured I'd still keg it. I pulled an initial amount to pull sediment and took a sip and was not what I was expecting.

But life goes on, and there is plenty of brew to make. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20200909_224944.jpg
    20200909_224944.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Realized I over carbed my beer. Have spent about 45 minutes trying to fix it and have gone thru 4 pints of beer. Can't let beer go to waste, lol. Purged the beer, put it at serving pressure and just going to let it sit cause I still have 2 additional pints waiting to be drunk since the foam has gone by now. CHEERS!! Love this forum!

45m is too short to make significant change in dissolved CO unless you can bubble through an air stone from the bottom or shake keg roughly. It take time to dissolve and time to undissolve. Simply changing headspace pressure by venting everything, then letting it sit overnight will do a little, but if kept cold, CO2 will like to stay in cold solution. I guess my point is, you have to realize nothing happens instantly.

45m is too short to make significant change in dissolved CO unless you can bubble through an air stone from the bottom or shake keg roughly. It take time to dissolve and time to undissolve. Simply changing headspace pressure by venting everything, then letting it sit overnight will do a little, but if kept cold, CO2 will like to stay in cold solution. I guess my point is, you have to realize nothing happens instantly.
What ended up working was disconnecting everything and purging the keg. Then took the gas quick disconnect and put it on the fluid out post. Let the sucker bubble for some time, purged and repeated about 3 times. Reconnected everything as normal. Beer was normalized. Saw some Youtube video, dude said it was "degassing" or something or other. Worked!

"As seen on HBT"

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/overcarbed-keg-heres-an-instant-solution.127655/
I had to do this once and it accomplished the task - though it was on a REALLY FULL keg and the blow-out through the PRV was crazy. Had to unload the keezer to mop and wipe everything down.

If I ever have to do that again I'll run a line from the gas post into a bucket half filled with water and let it go nuts in there...

Cheers!

notthefloorbuttheclamp.jpg

not the cleanest floor, i know.... but with the chair, and clamp...i got a perfect weight of 1.3oz's for both my kegs......no fluttering around while i shook them.....now to see if the fan in my fridge, gets them ready to drink in a day......

i gotta say it was sad, watching a ounce of co2 going up...just purging the kegs.....but at least now, my scale doesn't lose an ounce a day, waiting to gradually carb....

and anyone have a chart on carbonation, about how long it takes to dissolve into water? i know i got the right weight in them, and their not on pressure at the momment, but how long for a shaken can of beer to be ready to pour again after shaking?

well, i just burst carbed a alco-pop with 2.5oz's co2.....it went fast at first but, damn to get the thing to take more co2 at the end was a pain.....that last ounce was apainful tenth at a time minute.....

i put a tee on my gas line, and a second shut off, with about 10' of gas line with just a flare QD for gas on, idea curtesy of Pkrd.....

now my scale stays steady while shaking, and i'm taking a break to type this, because it takes WAY MORE then 30 seconds like i first thought!!

I apolagize for the messy floor, it comes and goes.....

current rig for carbing.jpg

edit: my god i need a automatic shaker to do this.......maybe rasberry pi wifi scale, or USB, and have it automatic.....

Last edited:
i gotta say, cold crashing makes burst carbing by weight so much easier! the kegs take the co2 SO MUCH quicker at 40f then 80f!
You're only discovering this now? ;)

I cold crash in an upright freezer for 1 or 2 days, or shorter, depending on when I need that beer. Transfer the ice cold beer (~30F) to a keg and burst carbonate (rock & roll) right away, in under 10'.

I used to do what I thought was the right way and it probably is I used a carb stone with the carb stone cornet keg lid. Then one time that lid broke so I used the shake method and will probably never go back. Using the carb stone I’d get the keg cold and it would take a few days to a week to carb up nicely. Now I transfer to the keg blast it to 30 psi and shake it for 5 minutes. Then I put it in my chest freezer and it’s good to go within 3 hours. I have no way to know if it’s exactly the right volume of CO2 but I’ve never had any foaming issues. I know this isn’t an exact science or the “right” way but if your like me and want a quick turn around it works like a charm.

You're only discovering this now?

i've only been watching the scale go down while "rockin & rollin" since september! :mug:

(and honestly i used to just drink my beer flat! i'd hook two kegs up at 8psi, start serving as soon as it was cold, and by the time i was done with my first keg the second would have some fizz. and by the end of the second keg, it start pouring a bit foamy, with my 1/4" line)

Last edited:
Hello

I would like to go for keg and have some questions.

1. Could i let keg to carbonate in fridge whitout co connected ? Or the co must be connected all the carbonation time ?

I would cool Beer in keg and then put the co in to the keg and then put it to fridge.

Thank you :)

I recently learned how to refill my soda stream canisters with dry ice and I happen to have an adaptor to add standard threads so I will be adding a regulator so I can use my fermentation mini fridge to age/cold crash and carbonate my kegs while waiting to be tapped to the kegerator mini fridge each can only fit one keg,

in the past I purged the keg and naturally carbonated before tapping but often ended up over carbonated. I like the idea of letting the regulator dial things in.

Hope you realize that by doing that you could exceed the maximum rated pressure of those canisters and cause them to blow up possibly causing bodily harm. Hopefully those things have a safety valve that will let go before the canister goes kaboom.

You're also getting a ton of oxygen in your beer but that's a secondary issue compared to personal safety.

Hope you realize that by doing that you could exceed the maximum rated pressure of those canisters and cause them to blow up possibly causing bodily harm. Hopefully those things have a safety valve that will let go before the canister goes kaboom.

You're also getting a ton of oxygen in your beer but that's a secondary issue compared to personal safety.
Explain please?

Hopefully this thread is still being monitored. I am going to keg a hoppy red ale today - it's currently at room temp in the carboy. I'd like to serve it Sunday. What should be my best plan of action for carbonation? A wrench in the plan is that I leave town this evening. I return Tuesday afternoon, and then leave town Wednesday early AM, returning home Friday.

Thoughts?

Hopefully this thread is still being monitored. I am going to keg a hoppy red ale today - it's currently at room temp in the carboy. I'd like to serve it Sunday. What should be my best plan of action for carbonation? A wrench in the plan is that I leave town this evening. I return Tuesday afternoon, and then leave town Wednesday early AM, returning home Friday.

Thoughts?

i'd guess if it's got a week, set and forget would be fine? if you want to absolutly sure hook it up serving pressure, but before you 'set and forget it', give some shaking at serving pressure, just to make sure for good measure.....? someone else will have to chime in.

i'd guess if it's got a week, set and forget would be fine? if you want to absolutly sure hook it up serving pressure, but before you 'set and forget it', give some shaking at serving pressure, just to make sure for good measure.....? someone else will have to chime in.

Thanks for the quick response! It's good to do this in the keezer, right? It's been a while since I've kegged anything.

Your easiest path would be to use a carbonation stone or a Blichmann carving system (1 hour).
Other than that, I’d transfer to a keg and get it cold (40° F or less) first. Then give your schedule I’d put it on CO2 Wednesday and take it off Friday or put it on Friday and take it off Sunday.
You can adjust your PSI depending on how long you’ll be leaving it on CO2.

Thoughts?
I'd keg it, chill it to 34-38F, burst carbonate for 5-7 minutes at 30 psi by rolling it. Then disconnect gas, and put it in the kegerator.
Check carbonation Tuesday and connect gas at your typical serving pressure and let it be.

Thanks for the quick response! It's good to do this in the keezer, right? It's been a while since I've kegged anything.

well, i dissagree with everyone else! ;) :mug: i'm assuming this is NEXT sunday, it's getting kegged this sunday. so just hooking it up at the typical 12psi, maybe shake it a bit at the PSI for a workout, until you need a break, :mug:.....as far as i know 8 days in the keezer, at serving temp & pressure. would get it plenty carbed?

Borderline, that's why I'd give it a head start by burst carbonating it first. ;)

yeah i was disagreeing because you recomended chilling it first to 38f, then giving it 5-7 minutes of shaking, with my experience so far carbing by weight, he'd have an over carbed keg, and wouldn't find out till tuesday, and then not be around to keep venting it, till friday? :mug:

edit: and that was why i was thinking giving it some shaking AT serving pressure before giving it the chill down? at serving pressure can't over carb it but wouldn't hurt? just a jump on the usual 2 weeks?

I'd keg it, chill it to 34-38F, burst carbonate for 5-7 minutes at 30 psi by rolling it. Then disconnect gas, and put it in the kegerator.
Check carbonation Tuesday and connect gas at your typical serving pressure and let it be.
Hmm. I'm leaving the house in about 4 hours - I don't think that would give me enough time to get it down to serving temp.

well, i dissagree with everyone else! ;) :mug: i'm assuming this is NEXT sunday, it's getting kegged this sunday. so just hooking it up at the typical 12psi, maybe shake it a bit at the PSI for a workout, until you need a break, :mug:.....as far as i know 8 days in the keezer, at serving temp & pressure. would get it plenty carbed?
Yes - kegging today, serving the 4th.

Thanks! First brew in 7 years - hopefully it turns out ok. I know, I know - RDWHAHB.

i was just thinking if it's set at serving pressure you have 8 days of it set and forget....you can't over carb it at serving pressure, so just shake it till you have peace of mind, 8 days even without the shaking would be the way i like my beer anyway! some people do cardio for an hour for exscerise....you got 4 left! ;) :mug:

(and it's the 4th, as long as it's homebrew it's a winner! even if it's an extract brew, no worse then asking france for help, lol))

almostcarbed.jpg

that what a beer with set and forget looks like after 4 days, at 10psi.....i kegged that thursday.....it's been sitting at 10psi....to me already drinkable, but a little undercarbed.....(just notcied this thread is supposed to be illustrated!)

I'd put it on serving pressure, and put in in the cooler right away. When you get back on Tues., shake it every 5 - 10 minutes, until you no longer hear gas flowing when you start shaking. Then put it back in the frig until it's time to serve.

Shaking at higher than serving pressure is the best known way to over-carb a beer, and you won't have time to deal with that given your schedule. You can't over-carb shaking at serving pressure. Not shaking after Tues/Wed will give the suspended junk time to settle before serving.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back