Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd put it on serving pressure, and put in in the cooler right away. When you get back on Tues., shake it every 5 - 10 minutes, until you no longer hear gas flowing when you start shaking. Then put it back in the frig until it's time to serve.

Shaking at higher than serving pressure is the best known way to over-carb a beer, and you won't have time to deal with that given your schedule. You can't over-carb shaking at serving pressure. Not shaking after Tues/Wed will give the suspended junk time to settle before serving.

Brew on :mug:
I'm leaving it on 12 psi so should be good on that front. I'm sure there's sediment in it, so good thought on giving it time to settle. Thank you!

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
definatley saturday. get a heads up on how it went!
Yeah. Probably need to pour a pint or two to clear out the trub around the tip of the dip tube. Want it running clear for your guests. If at all possible, do not move the keg in the slightest (not even to reposition in the fridge) before serving.

Brew on :mug:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
honestly a week at 12 psi, and shaking for two days? i'm surprised, but it looks like the way i like my beer....day_trippr just said he can get it carbed at serving pressure, with 30 minutes of shaking....

if you want crank it to 30psi until tomorrow? i feel like i failed you at this point, so :( most people that use EVABarrier say they only use 6' lines? not sure if that's the difference i'm seeing?

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
honestly a week at 12 psi, and shaking for two days? i'm surprised, but it looks like the way i like my beer....day_trippr just said he can get it carbed at serving pressure, with 30 minutes of shaking....

if you want crank it to 30psi until tomorrow? i feel like i failed you at this point, so :( most people that use EVABarrier say they only use 6' lines? not sure if that's the difference i'm seeing?
It happens. It will get there. There's carbonation in it, but no head.

I forgot to order the Duotight reducer for my tap, so I had to go back to some old Bevlex / picnic tap. The speed of the pour is fine, so I don't think that's the problem.

MashTunnelOfLove

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only spend a half a day or so giving it a shake in the keg at 25-30 psi. When I can't hear CO2 moving through the regulator I adjust to serving pressure based off of temp and desired volumes of CO2.

This is the holy grail of beer line calculators. Use the duotight stuff and you can just swap out lengths.

MashTunnelOfLove

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only spend a half a day or so giving it a shake in the keg at 25-30 psi. When I can't hear CO2 moving through the regulator I adjust to serving pressure based off of temp and desired volumes of CO2.

This is the holy grail of beer line calculators. Use the duotight stuff and you can just swap out lengths.

I should add it sits about 3 days after my shaking. More than drinkable and at 5 days its perfect