Keg dip tube off center.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I put the beer dip tube into the keg, the end of it does not line up in the little dimple at the bottom of the keg. Looks like the "centering notches" (for lack of a better term) inside the post are slightly skewed, causing this.

I was wondering if I could swap in and out, but are the threads on the gas and liquid posts the same? I don't want to strip the threads on the posts...

I can also try to bend the dip tube but don't want to mess around with that right now

Attachments

• 1122201152.jpg
    1122201152.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1122201152a.jpg
    1122201152a.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 46
First, lots of kegs have exactly the same thing, i.e. the long dip tube not aligning precisely over the bottom dimple. But it really doesn't cause any problems.

Second, yes the threads are the same on both sides for most kegs. Exceptions are some Firestone and John Wood Kegs.

I figured it is a pretty common occurrence. I'm more worried about not getting a good seal. But probably just over thinking it. Maybe I'll just lop off the last quarter inch or so and call it a day.

I'm a little confused by the photo of the tube sticking up (a lot), proud of the keg top. The only really important thing is for the dip tube to sit flush with the port, so that the small washer can form a seal against it. Otherwise, don't even think twice about where the tube ends up in the bottom. The actual concave dimple at the center is going to end up with dreck in it anyway, not clear beer.

I pulled the dip tube up a bit just to take a picture off those centering notches. Though it does take a little finagling to get it so it sits properly on the post

Dip tubes are already pre-bent, you can see the bend in yours. On mine to get it in the center dimple I need to rotate it appropriately. It looks like if you rotate your dip tube clockwise it will line up with the dimple, or have you already tried that?

I'm guessing the OP has tried the obvious. It appears the riser was installed improperly from the jump, so it's not the dip tube per se, it's the keg.
But I don't get the reticence to just twist the dip tube to get the business end in its well, it's not that hard to do.
As it stands the keg could not be properly purged prior to filling, which would be a show-stopper imo...

Cheers!

The problem isn't the bend in the tube, but how the tube aligns in the post. There are channels on the post that align with the corresponding on the tube, which locks it in place and prevents the tube from spinning.

As it stands the keg could not be properly purged prior to filling,
Why do you say it can't properly be purged? It would leave too much sanitizer in the bottom?

Exactly.
A properly located dip tube will literally leave less than a teaspoon of Star San behind.
I wouldn't even try it with the dip tube as pictured.

I have 18 Cornelius style kegs from multiple vendors. I know how they work :)

Cheers!

I'd say you definitely speak from experience then! I'm thinking that since the posts have the same threads, I'm just going to swap the (gas tube in liquid posts, vice versa), scrape off the "in" and "out" markings on the rubber, and mark them a different way. The liquid tube lines up fine if through the gas side.

So, again, the root cause of the problem isn't the dip tube being non-spec, it's the threaded Out riser installed improperly in the keg top forcing the dip tube to be misaligned with its well. But those dip tubes are actually pretty easy to "re-form" (a classic IBM term synonymous with "bend" ;)) so I would just bend the dip tube to fix the issue.

All but two of my kegs were acquired well used - some probably 40-something years in use before I got them - and I had to rehabilitate many of them to get them up to oem snuff if I wanted to be able to liquid purge them. It wasn't that big a deal, just takes some patience...

Cheers!

Is there a chance you swapped this tube with another keg? I swapped tubes (washing multiple kegs) among several kegs and found they are not all the same, even though they were the same brand keg. Purchased new, not used.

Yeah, I thought maybe I swapped them between the 2 I got this time but I think it's just the threaded post that's part of the top of the keg. It's just misaligned. I'm probably going to set this one aside and bend the tube on place or just swap the sides of I need to use it. Good thought though

Back