Keg beer turned murky after car travel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT09NOV94

King Thompson’s Froth
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Just wondering if anyone could tell me why my beer in my keg went really murky after travelling in a car.
Cheers

Hey everyone!
Just wondering if anyone could tell me why my beer in my keg went really murky after travelling in a car.
Cheers
There is usually sediment on the bottom of a keg. Vibration and bumps from the car will mix the sediment up in the beer. This is a very common occurrence.

Brew on :mug:

There is usually sediment on the bottom of a keg. Vibration and bumps from the car will mix the sediment up in the beer. This is a very common occurrence.

Brew on :mug:
Okay sweet, so it will eventually settle down again? Also I noticed that this did not happen with some of my other beers when travelling. They had less hops though

I'm imagining all you guys road tripping with you kegs seat belted next to you.
1C10769C-3C58-4032-AE4D-AEB10F778727.jpeg

I'm imagining all you guys road tripping with you kegs seat belted next to you.
Heck no, not next to me!

Keg and 20# CO2 tank are standing on the floor, strapped behind the passenger seat.
2 more kegs can go behind the driver's seat, also strapped. I hate flying or tumbling kegs and gas cylinders...

All covered with a thick blanket too.

Heck no, not next to me!

Keg and 20# CO2 tank are standing on the floor, strapped behind the passenger seat.
2 more kegs can go behind the driver's seat, also strapped. I hate flying or tumbling kegs and gas cylinders...

Wait! Not that "CO2 blanket" controversy again? Here we go...

I prefer to keep them way, way lower, on the floor, behind the front seats.
Projectile-fobia kicks in quickly...
Dang, ya' keep your grandkids seat on the floor? Mine don't projectile vomit nearly enough to keep 'em strapped down like that.

Wait. Wha... Oh, that's not what you meant. Never mind.

Heck no, not next to me!

What’s that picnic tap next to your seatbelt?

This is a good reason (if we need a reason for another keg) to have a smaller 2.5g keg on hand. Pushing clear beer into the smaller keg (for the travel day - assumes 2.5 gallons is enough <-- possibly a flaw in the plan) then both beers stay clear.
I just did this, only because I didn't get my fourth brew day in for the weekend event and had to raid my keezer!

Back