keg beer-shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquajon1

Reaction score
thinking about switching to kegging, since it is only me drinking it, how long will the beer last in a keg? i have a few different batches going right now. and no way can i drink all the beer in a short amount of time.

A keg is basically a big bottle, so it'll last as long as a bottle. Just like bottling, it depends on the type of beer is in it.

A keg is basically a big bottle, so it'll last as long as a bottle. Just like bottling, it depends on the type of beer is in it.
To clarify, it'll last as long as an un-opened beer bottle. A corny that's been purged and kept under pressure is nothing like the hand pumped kegs you get from the liquor store. Since no oxygen is introduced and it's under constant CO2 pressure, it's the same as an un-opened bottle. May be better, because there's no issues with light.

But like Hammy says, just like bottles, a big RIS will get better over time in a keg, a wheat won't.

Latest posts

Back