Keg as secondary, is transfer to serving keg necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannabrew

Reaction score
I've kegged about 6 batches now and have used the following process:

- after primary is winding down, I closed transfer to a CO2 purged keg and add my 2nd round of dry hops and force carb at 30PSI at room temp for 2 days
- after 2 days I bring pressure down to 12PSI and leave at room temp for 3 more days.
- after day 5 I move the keg into the kegerator to chill
- around day 7, the keg is ready to drink. I turn up the PSI to about 20 and blow out a couple of pints to try and clear any sediment and then turn it back down to serving PSI and start drinking the keg.

For the most part, this process has worked fine however I notice when the kegs kick there is a decent amount of gunk on the bottom of the keg that I have to imagine impacts the flavor at least to some degree (especially as it gets down to the bottom).

Should I be taking the extra step to closed transfer to a different serving keg? It seems like a lot of effort but if it's that big of a difference I will try it.

If the answer is yes, is it fine to do the transfer with chilled carbonated beer into a room temp CO2 purged keg?

I never notice a difference in flavor with that gunk sitting there. Honestly I would believe it's the same as yeast in the bottom of a bottle conditioned brew.

If you do it I would chill the purged keg as well. I imagine the beer would foam in a warmer vessel.

there is no reason to move it, just expect the first few glasses to be full of the lees off the bottom.
I do a transfer for 2 reasons (I use co2 to push it, out the out tube of one and into the out tube of the other so not to aerate the beer) first is to filter it, I run a 1 micron filter between secondary and the serving keg, the second is because I use pinlocks converted to ball locks for the keezer as they are shorter but the secondaries are regular ball locks.

This sounds fine.

When you say "when primary is winding down", what is the total time in primary?

How many days after the Kreusen drops?

Are you taking relatively clear beer out of primary or a murky mess lol?

I would leave it in the fermenter 7-10 days, after that transferring to keg is reasonable ime.

This sounds fine.

When you say "when primary is winding down", what is the total time in primary?

How many days after the Kreusen drops?

Are you taking relatively clear beer out of primary or a murky mess lol?

I would leave it in the fermenter 7-10 days, after that transferring to keg is reasonable ime.

About 7-10 and it's clear.

Back