keg aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernjerry

Reaction score
I recently force carbonated a barley wine. The carbonation was fine but I am unhappy with the taste - very yeasty. I'm guessing I should just wait a few weeks and hopefully it will settle. If I want to age it longer, should I keep the pressure at serving pressure?

Nah, disconnect the lines. It should be balanced enough. You can check the pressure a couple of days prior to wanting to dispense. If it's low then hit it again. If not, you're good to go.

There's one camp here that insists on kegging right out of the primary. They say they don't worry about the "extra" yeast because it comes out in the first or second pint.

I don't adhere to that practice bacause I have to move my kegs out of the keezer (in the garage) to the basement. This jostles the keg more than once and stirs up the yeast.

To eliminate this, I secondary every batch for several weeks. I figure if I can get as much yeast as possible out of suspension before racking to the keg the clearer and cleaner the beer will look and taste. ;)

I secondary my weizens for the same reason. I rack some yeast back into the brew to make it only slightly cloudy again. :rockin:

All righty - thanks. I've never bothered with secondaries as I lack the patience. this is my first yeasty result so I might start reconsidering. Your points make sense.

Back