Keezer going to be unused for 2 months... storage prep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvjackson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be out of town more or less for 2 months and want to know if anyone has any advice on prepping my keezer. Right now there's still plenty of beer left in the keg.

I have Perlick forward-sealing faucets, and use tap brush/plugs (http://morebeer.com/products/kleen-faucet-brush-plug.html) soaked with an alcohol sanitizer as my typical day-to-day storage, so I think the faucets are reasonably safe from flies and mold, but I want to know if I should be doing more.

My options are:

- Leave the lines hooked up and just "seal" the faucet with an alcohol-soaked brush plug. Maybe add some plastic wrap for good measure.
- Disconnect lines, clean them, and leave filled with star-san
- Clean lines and leave them empty (try to blow out as much liquid as possible with CO2)

Any thoughts?

If you haven't been battling any chronic dispensing issues, I would simply cover the faucet spout with a tap tamer or equivalent
$T2eC16ZHJHUFFfy63p1fBRyik2VN,w~~60_35.JPG
and leave well enough alone...

Cheers!

Ok, good to know that's a reasonable choice.

I guess worst case, when I come back if the lines are gross I can just clean it with line cleaner then.

If you left a bottle of beer in a fridge, would you expect it to be "gross" after two months?

Classicly, it's when you take a working system and change something that it fails. So, even assuming it could happen, I'd take "gross" beer lines over kegs floating in a pool of leaked beer ;)

Also, I would not leave Star San sitting in beer lines for any extended time. From many accounts it turns the inside of beer lines "white", which doesn't sound good to me...

Cheers!

Back