Keezer Condensate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I build a new keezer as my last one got destroyed by the movers. Pretty basic build 7.0 chest freezer with a 6 inch collar. I didn't insulate the collar but there is no condensate there. I have a fan and a dehumidifier. At that bottom there is a good amount (will soak a full sheet of paper towel once a day) of condensation. I have been progressively sealing the holes into the keezer (CO2 and Thermometer cable). This may or may not do the trick. If it doesn't how is everyone ensuring they have a tight seal on the chest lid? I have heard people using felt tape and want to know if I should pull the trigger on that or did I miss something.

what temp is it running? also how often do you open it? I have a 1947 fridge I'm using. the cooling plates are iced up but there is no liquid moisture anywhere. It's running low 30s.

My 2 storage freezers run 40' and 60' with dehumidifiers inside. No issues. But they rarely get opened.

Strangely a neighbours cat got trapped in my parents summerhouse by the house sitter when they were away on holiday and it survived in there for 27 days. The vet said that it was probably licking the condensation off the window to keep hydrated.
There were a lot of signs of distress and would have been a great help to have had some of that cat litter in there for non condensation issues!

Interesting as I've learned something new today. How to apply the beads to the windscreen to avoid condensation?

You fill a socket with the material, and you put the socket at the base of the windscreen, there certainly is some space where you can put it. While you are in the car, and you breath, talk, or sing or whatever, slowly the windscreen becomes clouded. The sock should prevent this.

Strangely a neighbours cat got trapped in my parents summerhouse by the house sitter when they were away on holiday and it survived in there for 27 days. The vet said that it was probably licking the condensation off the window to keep hydrated.
There were a lot of signs of distress and would have been a great help to have had some of that cat litter in there for non condensation issues!
Huh?

As does the blower on the windshield, no?

Yes, but you can save the noise and the cold (if the engine is cold and it is winter), one can also open the window but, again, it's not nice if it's cold outside. This method, if it works, is just more practical. You don't notice it being there, and the windscreen just doesn't get fogged in the first place.

what temp is it running? also how often do you open it? I have a 1947 fridge I'm using. the cooling plates are iced up but there is no liquid moisture anywhere. It's running low 30s.

My 2 storage freezers run 40' and 60' with dehumidifiers inside. No issues. But they rarely get opened.
It is running at 36. I put a small rechargeable dehumidifier near the fan and it seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks for your reply.

Definitely worth a try, but I am unsure what this has to do with homerbrewing.

Nothing. As this trick came into the conversation, I mentioned another practical use so that homebrewers could maybe find it definitely worth a try.

"When threads get weird"

Aaaanyway...I have built three keezers, two of which used the oem lids, which I riddled with holes for mounting a t-tower, surface mount drip tray with drain, surface mount rinser with water in and drain out piping, and four gas posts and a bunch of power and signal connectors all on the back edge. The first two keezers had significant problems with condensation which I kept at bay using a pair of Eva-Dry 500 desiccant units. These each can hold 4 ounces of water and I had two pairs of them that I'd cycle as needed, usually once a week - so that's two cups of water weekly. Even though the lids used the oem gaskets and I methodically made sure none of the holes I put in were leaking air, those two would generate a lot of condensate.

My third keezer, otoh, seems to be surprisingly immune from condensation. I have yet to see a hint of puddling. I still use the two pairs of EVA-Dry 500s, but I haven't changed them out since I commissioned this keezer around Thanksgiving.

The two things I did differently on this one was I built a wholly custom lid (actually gave the oem one back to the retailer) and I silicone sealed every panel gap inside the base cabinet - including all of the plastic bits that trim out the top edge of the chassis. That's where I think the difference is - more likely than the fact I used a doubled silicone foam gasket instead of the typical molded vinyl oem type. All those plastic trim bits can allow air to pretty much flow underneath and right over the top of the base chassis, and considering how many linear inches there are on a 10 or 12 cubic foot keezer, that's a lot of gap to consider...

Cheers!

Better seal up those holes in my keg fridge then.
Although the fridge handles condensation with that gutter and drain at the back and then evaporates it outside near the warm parts I assume.

interesting kitty litter and sock trick.

I wonder if those water "crystals" would work in a similar fashion. Those "crystals" that you soak in water and they get huge and you can grow plant's in them. Instead use them "dry" and let them absorb any moisture inside the keezer.

Latest posts

Back