Keezer build with 5.1 cu ft igloo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodyone

Reaction score
I am about to build a keezer using a 5.1 cu ft igloo chest freezer, are there any parts that can be damaged in the walls of the freezer? it looks like it is possibly just insulated walls.
Rick

I always read that you shouldn't drill into the walls of the freezer since that's where are the coils are. That's why people either go through a wooden collar or out the top.

Most chest freezers run the freon lines in the walls. Unless you have the exact specs and blueprints of your model, I would agree that you should just build a collar.
I just did a build on mine, it's not as daunting as it may seem. It also open up all kinds of options for you. Check out the threads about Keezer builds on here. Some of them are just wild.
Cheers

And that is why I ask, I could find anyone that could tell me where the coils where. Will build a collar and post pictures should be done early next week.
Thanks,
Rick

Thx home made bar complete with cabinet mixer shelves and a collection of pint glasses I'm up to about 30 now

You can stain the wood for your collar to match your bar. That would look nice.

I blinged out my collar and built a custom wood top with a rail. I used red oak. The top looks like a piece of furniture now. Unfortunately it weighs about 100 lbs.

You can stain the wood for your collar to match your bar. That would look nice.

I blinged out my collar and built a custom wood top with a rail. I used red oak. The top looks like a piece of furniture now. Unfortunately it weighs about 100 lbs.

That is the plan gonna use the same paneling as my bar to cover the front then a light stainable panel to cover the top

Make sure not to stick anything to the keezer sides directly. The keezer dissipates heat through the sides. If you block that, you can burn out the unit.

Build a frame around the keezer and attach your panels to that. Add a cooling fan to circulate air between the wood panelling and the keezer wall.

@moodyone

How roomy is the Igloo 5.1 inside? Any trouble with 2 ball-lock kegs? Was thinking of putting a sankey and one ball-lock if the unit (with collar) can accommodate.

I can't speak about the Igloo 5.1, but I have an Idlies 5.2 and can say it will hold a sankey on the floor and a ball-lock on the hump with a collar. I can fit 3 ball-locks and my 5#co tank with room

inside kezzer.jpg

Kezzer1.jpg

Back