Keeping scoby alive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GigiAllin

Reaction score
Have been making my own kombucha for just over a year now. So far it's gone very well. My scoby is nice and heathy. I am about to embark on a trip for work that will last a month (possibly a month and a half). I don't want to lose my scoby. We've been through a lot together. What's the best way to keep it alive while I'm gone?

I'm planning on making a big batch of tea just before I leave and letting my scoby live in there till I get back. Obviously, I won't want to drink it since it'll be pretty funky after fermenting for months. Would it be better to keep it in the fridge or will my usual cupboard spot be okay?

Yes, the best way is to make a batch as usual. Then you just let it sit for longer. Don't refrigerate, just let it sit as usual. The scooby should still be alive and well after 1-2 months. It will be thicker and the booch will probably be too sour to drink...

Refrigeration slows down the fermentation. If you keep it there too long, the culture might slow down till the point where it's no longer viable. Usually, it's easier to revive a culture that has been sitting at room temperature (without fresh tea), than a culture that has been refrigerated.

i would like to know if there is anything wrong with just adding a little sugar to the 6oz -8 oz left in the jar as a starter for the next batch. I've got more than I can use or share right now and wanted to keep it alive by feeding it sugar. I hadn't read these posts about making a whole new batch to store it for a few weeks or a month.

Back