Keeping Sanitized Kegs, and trusting them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I've gotten into closed transferring into a sanitized and CO2 purged keg. I'm wondering, if I go through my sanitization (StarSan) and purging process in short turn after cleaning my kegs, but leave the keg for some unknown time before it's needed, how long can I reasonably assume it's still sanitary and safe to fill with beer as it sits?

There's obviously still residual sanitizer in the keg. In a moist environment, even though it was initially sanitized, I'm not sure how confident I can be it doesn't start harboring something that thrives in such environments. I know the buckets of StarSan I keep sometimes start getting some nasty bits in the headspace, but those buckets get a lot of activity, open, close, so maybe a purged, pressurized keg is completely different. Thoughts?

It is a sealed keg, right? If it is sealed then that is basically the same procedure that pro breweries use. Clean and sanitize until it is filled. I wouldn't think about it, I'd just use it. Now if you are opening them up for any reason then I would resanitize. But it sounds like you are keeping them closed. Fill on!

It's not worth the risk. It takes, what? 10 mins to wash and sanitize a keg?

IMO, not worth risking an entire brewday to save 10 mins for sanitizing a keg,

I'm sorry if that doesn't answer your question. Just by two cent partner.

Cheers,

Theoretically, it should be safe forever, but....For the 30 seconds it takes to swish around some starsan, I wouldn't risk it.

Collectively, the above responses represent about what my take has been on it, 1/3 I'm sure it's fine, 2/3 but it still might not be worth the risk.

Actually, the main concern should be oxidation, not contamination with beer. The high alcohol environment is toxic to most all bugs. I simply swirl with sanitizer and drain. Then purge with co2 and transfer closed.

How long you talking? You could leave a bit more star san solution then just "residual" and flip them over every couple weeks. I do this for a month or two. The weak point would probably be the dip tube, but you could spray or pour some star san down that every few weeks and be fine.

I think co2 could deter mold growth as well. So you could even try pressurizing them as well. Then instead of pouring star san down the tube you could just release some liquid out the tube.

This is a good way to clean a bunch at once if you have a keg wash.

It also is a great way to clean a counter pressure bottle filler if you have a keg laying around with star san in it.

I put about a 2 gallon batch in them, pressurize to 30 P S I, hook up a picnic tap, flush said dip tube, remove picnic tap, and store.

I might give them a shake every couple of weeks.

Time to fill?
Shake like crazy, drain, purge, add beer.

I put about a 2 gallon batch in them, pressurize to 30 P S I, hook up a picnic tap, flush said dip tube, remove picnic tap, and store.

I might give them a shake every couple of weeks.

Time to fill?
Shake like crazy, drain, purge, add beer.

What he said

If you're cleaning them, then fill to the very top with sanitizer and push that out using CO2, and leave it completely sealed and pressurized until you fill it, I'm not sure where the concern would be. How could something get into there??

If you're cleaning them, then fill to the very top with sanitizer and push that out using CO2, and leave it completely sealed and pressurized until you fill it, I'm not sure where the concern would be. How could something get into there??

^ This is what I do, well, even "over the top." I fill every nook and cranny with StarSan, NO air, then push it out with CO2.

I think keeping some StarSan in there, not pushing it all out, to swish around and finish pushing out just at fill-time, is the way to go.

It'd definitely be kept under pressure. How long? As long as a few months, I guess.

I don't even bother leaving star san in the keg and swishing. As long as the keg still has pressure when I go to fill it, I don't even worry about it. I fill through the dip tube, so I don't even open it throughout the entire filling process. Never had a problem.

I don't even bother leaving star san in the keg and swishing. As long as the keg still has pressure when I go to fill it, I don't even worry about it. I fill through the dip tube, so I don't even open it throughout the entire filling process. Never had a problem.

Right on. How long do you typically leave them, or rather what's the longest time that you've left a keg, in that state (sanitized, purged, and pressurized) before you closed-transfer into it?

Man, I've been doing seale pressure fermenting for a long time. You clean that thing and seal it, you're gold. Shone home brewers get too anal about things sometimes.

I've gone so far as to force transfer off the yeast/trub, left the fermenter sealed and pressurized in the basement. I didn't have time to harvest yeast, but I didn't want to waste it. So 2 weeks later When I found the time, I depressurized the 10 gallon corny, opened the lid and tossed 6 gallons of Apple juice in for a quick cider. NO issues... That thing built up a ton of pressure in just a few hours.

Right on. How long do you typically leave them, or rather what's the longest time that you've left a keg, in that state (sanitized, purged, and pressurized) before you closed-transfer into it?

Longest has probably been 2 months, but as long as the key was still pressurized when I went to transfer I wouldn't worry at all, no matter how long it had been.

Back