Kansas Kolsch - Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHappyHopper

Reaction score
I have made one attempt at a Kolsch before, about a year ago, using the "Cologne Kolsch" recipe from Midwest Supplies and I thought it turned out great. Unfortunately I didn't keep good notes at the time - (I think I actually used some German Wheat yeast that I had on hand?) - fermenting for a week or so at room temp and then putting in a tub with ice water for a couple of weeks for the lager phase. Doing that was kind of a pain (after the first couple days I wasn't as diligent about changing out the ice blocks), so I have stuck with brewing beers that don't require any type of lagering method.

Since then I have acquired a spare fridge and put together my STC-1000 temp controller, so I wanted to venture into the world of lagers and I figured brewing a Kolsch again was a good stepping stone in that direction.

I put together this recipe, based off the one I did previously and comparing it to several others I found online.

Fermentables:
3# - Golden Light DME
3# - Pilsner Malt
0.5# - Munich 10L
0.5# - White Wheat
Hops:
1.5 oz - Spalt (60 minutes)
0.5 oz - Tettnanger (2 minutes)
Yeast:
Wyeast 2112 - California Lager
Other:
1 - Whirlfloc tablet (5 minutes)

I know, I know - It's not really a Kolsch without the Kolsch yeast. Unfortunately, my LHBS was clean out so they suggested 2112 as the closest thing they had on hand. I also think I would have preferred Extra Light DME, but Gold Light or Dark were the options they had on hand today.

Single stage mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes
Boil 90 minutes due to the pilsner malt.
Ferment for a week at 60 degrees
Lower to 55 degrees until fermentation is done.
Drop to 35 degrees for 3-4 weeks before bottling, adding gelatin if it hasn't completely cleared.

I would normally add some Calcium Chloride to my brewing water since our water here is very soft, but for this style I am thinking that might not be necessary.

Let me know your thoughts - I am curious if anyone has used this yeast for something similar and what you would recommend for my temp schedule.

Thanks!

Well the yeast is doing its thing. One problem though - it has been so cold out around here, my garage temp is near freezing and the fermentation chamber can't get the temperature up to the 60 degrees that I wanted. It is currently stuck around 54...I guess since it is fermenting I am not going to worry about it - I will let it do its thing and maybe invest in a better heat source for next time.

Do you have the hot side of your STC wired up? I just plug a heating pad into the hot side of mine and use that when I need to push temps upward.

I have the hot side running to a 60W bulb inside the fridge (it is inside an old pot so it keeps direct light away from the fermenter and doesn't touch any plastic, etc.). The daytime temperatures have recently warmed up a bit and the past few days it has been able to get the fermentation chamber up to the high 50's. I am thinking this weekend, I may mount (2) 60W bulbs in there as my heat source (with something to block out the light of course)...that would definitely get up to the temps I need.

I have the hot side running to a 60W bulb inside the fridge (it is inside an old pot so it keeps direct light away from the fermenter and doesn't touch any plastic, etc.). The daytime temperatures have recently warmed up a bit and the past few days it has been able to get the fermentation chamber up to the high 50's. I am thinking this weekend, I may mount (2) 60W bulbs in there as my heat source (with something to block out the light of course)...that would definitely get up to the temps I need.

A lot of people will paint a coffee can black on the inside and stick the bulbs inside that so it acts as a radiator. Seems like you could do the same with your pot. The weather this weekend is looking awesome! (I assume your in KS from the name of this beer, I live in Wichita)

Back