Kamado cookers thread (green egg, kamado joe, primo etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are a brisket purist, thats' simply a steamed brisket.. Anyone can make a tender brisket if you foil it up. What makes it good, is having some bark.

If you are looking for a brisket recipe which is anything but dry you might consider Atlanta Brisket: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPwQW46Pt7U

A friend who has a Kamado Joe had us over and served this and it was delicious and anything but dry. I then made it on my Big Steel Keg and confirmed that his was not a fluke as it was still delicious.

He sounds like Doctor Phil.

had to smoke some spares today since I had the day off. Mesquite lump + Apple wood chunks

25sqwld.jpg

I just got an egg last weekend and did a pork shoulder for 18.5 hours at 225° with stubs pork dry rub. Turned out perfect. I even made my bbq sauce and threw it in with the meat and smoked it also. I spent too much money on the egg but I'll never regret it

Heres a picture of the pork shoulder, we also just did pizzas and smoked some ribs for 6 hours, some asparagus, and bacon wrapped jalapeños filled with cream cheese and chorizo.

1399342169938.jpg

1399342185798.jpg

1399342199466.jpg

How'd the pizza crust come out, I have never gotten it as good as the oven as I can't get the balance between the top and bottom finishing together.

Anyone here have the Joe Jr or some other similar sized ceramic cooker like the BGE Mini? What have been the experiences?

Living out here in Germany, it is tough to get some of these things and if I can, the price is ridiculous when you factor in the conversion rate. I can get the Joe Jr sent here through the mail and was thinking about getting one to hold me over until I move back to the states (in 2-3 years) and can get the Joe Classic or the Big Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home

Thanks. BBQ is something I love and have been very serious about. My wife and I have competed for 11 years. I have slowed lately but still love to cook. It is actually why I started brewing again. Brewing and BBQ are very close to each other. Lots of science as well as art.

I have a Primo XL and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It's right up there with one of the best investments I've ever made. I'm married with no kids, and my wife is a vegetarian and I still wouldn't go with a different cooker. I light off the coals on one side and by the time I'm done prepping dinner, it's ready to go.

I love how I can cook indirect and on raised grates till the internal temp is where I want it, then just move the meat to the lower rack with the hot coals underneath. Definitely a one-stop shop.

Between the home-brew and the Primo, our house is always where our friends meet up. I'd love to challenge someone to a tri-tip cookoff. I've mastered that cut, for sure!

did some thighs last night on my new cast iron grate. really like the cast iron so far - killer sear marks on steaks

The cast iron is nice...keep it seasoned and expect it to crack in places.

Thanks. They work well except when you don't have to move it much and they flatten out. They are solid rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The cast iron is nice...keep it seasoned and expect it to crack in places.

indeed it has cracked. admittedly i did a poor job of keeping it seasoned but im not convinced it would have prevented it. probably would have helped though!

did a sous vide tri-tip tonight for 90min @ 130. garlic butter and trader joe's coffee steak rub. flavor was truly awesome - id like to work up my own coffee rub after trying this. i've heard a 2:1 steak seasoning:coffee grounds is a good start.

seared it over mesquite @ 850* for about 40 seconds/side.

yes, this is my RIMs mash ton
11buhax.jpg

2gspca0.jpg

2d7xbbo.jpg

156aef5.jpg

I forgot about this thread. But I joined the club with a Kamado Joe Big Joe...

I'm the big guy. The other guy is an old fraternity buddy that agreed to help me lift this behemoth in exchange for homebrew and grilled meat.

Excellent! Keep us posted brotha

I forgot about this thread. But I joined the club with a Kamado Joe Big Joe...

I'm the big guy. The other guy is an old fraternity buddy that agreed to help me lift this behemoth in exchange for homebrew and grilled meat.

Man after my own heart ;)

indeed it has cracked. admittedly i did a poor job of keeping it seasoned but im not convinced it would have prevented it. probably would have helped though!

did a sous vide tri-tip tonight for 90min @ 130. garlic butter and trader joe's coffee steak rub. flavor was truly awesome - id like to work up my own coffee rub after trying this. i've heard a 2:1 steak seasoning:coffee grounds is a good start.

seared it over mesquite @ 850* for about 40 seconds/side.

yes, this is my RIMs mash ton

Nah, seasoning just keeps it from having food stick as bad and protects from rust. That thing is going to crack no matter what from the heat cycles. The bottom plate will crack on you too. Mine is in bad shape, time for me to get a new one as small charcoal gets through pretty easy.

6 hours on the smoke, then finish out the the other 18 hours in my oversized crockpot. (I know, it's cheating, but I swear it's better this way!) The smell in the house always drives my dogs crazy!

As close as I get to a crock pot is a Texas crutch every now and then. However, I want to try the butcher paper trick I saw Franklin do with a brisket...seems like it would let things still breath so its less of a braising action then a crockpot or a crutch. However, haven't read up on if that would work well on a shoulder or not.

Back