K Type Thermocouple Calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I wasn't sure if I should use ice water, mash temp, or boiling.

So here's the results.....

Heated a small pot on the stove and placed the thermocouple through a grate on the top.
  • PID Read 207* at the start of boiling
  • 211* at a rolling boil
  • 212* after approximately five minutes

I then filled the same pot with ice water.....
  • 2 stick thermometers read 40*
  • PID read 47*

Wow, so where do I go from here?

Seems knit-picky, but are you sure you did a "proper" ice bath? (Basically fill with as much ice as possible along with the water, adding more ice after stirring if needed. Stir like crazy then immediately take a reading. Should read much closer to 32. Also, if you did this immediately after the boil, your pot was probably still hot and might have caused a higher temp.

Are you using the pid for cooling or mashing? If you are using for mashing, you are close enough. If you are using the pid for cooling, then you need to calibrate the thermocouple.

Are you using the pid for cooling or mashing? If you are using for mashing, you are close enough. If you are using the pid for cooling, then you need to calibrate the thermocouple.

I'm using it for mashing. I calibrated it on the boiling end and brewed Friday. The PID temp and my kettle temp were in sync at 156*. I was more than happy!

Back