K.i.s.s.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclloyd

Reaction score
Something I've noticed is that many first time brewers will start with a very complex style or recipe and then wonder what went wrong when it doesn't turn out right. Making a Belgian Strong or IIPA for your first batch is like driving a Ferarri on a learner's permit. May be a lot of fun but not a good idea.
I guess my point is that you'll find it more rewarding and an all around better experience if you start with basic simple styles and recipes and get your processes locked in first, and then gradually work up to the more complex beers after you have some experience and understand what to expect.
Also, read read read. Most of the knowledge I've acquired has been through the printed word both on this forum and other online sources as well as in texts that I've collected. It's great to have someone with experience show you how it's done, but you can learn a hell of a lot by educating yourself through easily accessible resources.
Just my $0.02.

Being a new brewer I agree with your thoughts. K.I.S.S.

The weird thing about K.I.S.S. and process is during my research and initial learning the sMasH recipes and BIAB method seemed simplier and easier. If a person can make tea with tea bags, the BIAB is the same only with beer. Plus the sMasH recipes only have two ingredients and the web retailers are more than happy to walk you through your first order. Add in Deathbrewer's great post with pics on the process it gives a person a lot of confidence to jump in to BIAB.

I began there and found it much easier. I tried to help my neighbor with an extract recipe and was all thumbs and confused on the process.

Just my .02 as a beginner.

I just made my 1st Beer an IPA, I Gotta say I have made stews that were a lot harder. So far it's great just bottled this morning, the bottom of the bucket tasted great.

Another +1 to this.
I have looked at recipes for a new style for me to try, and found what even to a newbie looks like an excessive amount of "enhancing" additions that I will scratch out after checking if it's an integral part of the styles flavor profile. Ex: The flavor profile for a hefeweizen is generated by the yeast and wheat; no need to go adding a bunch of fruit peels and spices.

How about us newbies learn to make beer in a style that we like using good techniques before we start heaping in a ton of adjuncts, 12-grain bills, and 5 types of hops. :mug:

I can add, in our defense: For a first time brewer, it's a hell of a process, it's a big deal. If you are going through the trouble and initial expense of the equipment, and the ingredients, it's only natural to want to make something special. If we wanted to make something ordinary, we wouldn't be making the switch to all-grain.

I can also add, most home brewers are the personality type of "go big or go home", there's a self-reliance in our character, a pride and confidence, we are generally masters of other trades and hobbies as well. When that personality type jumps into homebrewing, it's only natural to expect they'll aim for the stars.

^^ This is a good point, because the ultimate KISS is to buy a 6-pack at the store. Who wants to do that?

Still, it is a complicated process, and it's worth taking a step-by-step approach. The size of those steps will vary from person to person. The good news is, it's just beer. It's good beer, maybe great beer, but it's not rocket surgery.

Just because a recipe is simple doesn't make it ordinary. I've enjoyed my simple recipes one hundred times more than anything I've bought on the shelf.

I can understand the self reliance direction though. Without that, I doubt any of us would be doing this.

The reason I brew is to make beer that I really like. No commercial beer comes close. I get very good beer with a very simple recipe. I'm now about to tweak the recipe a little to make it perfect (for me). But the key to my success was understanding that the key and majority ingredient, water, was what I needed to work on first. Don't know why I didn't figure that out first since the BMC's have had major advertising campaigns touting their water.

The reason I brew is to make beer that I really like. No commercial beer comes close. I get very good beer with a very simple recipe. I'm now about to tweak the recipe a little to make it perfect (for me). But the key to my success was understanding that the key and majority ingredient, water, was what I needed to work on first. Don't know why I didn't figure that out first since the BMC's have had major advertising campaigns touting their water.

yep.

also, k.i.s.s. has helped me to learn the flavor of different grains and hops. It's hard to know which variable changes what if the recipe is complex.

Latest posts

Back