Just tasted my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDreher71

Reaction score
I just cracked open a bottle of my inaugural homebrew, a brown ale. It has only been in the bottle for 12 days, so I know it is still underconditioned. It was carbonated about right. It's nice and clear, with a deep brown color. The problem right now is that it has a sort of bitter medicinal flavor and bitter aftertaste. I am hoping that this is just because it's a little early to be drinking it, and maybe a bit longer in the bottle will smooth this out. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I do have some questions. :) I too am brewing my first homebrew and it is also a Brown Ale. How long did you keep your beer in the primary and secondary (if you used one)?

That is reasonable this early in. At only 12 days, it's still nice and "green". I'm pretty sure that time will greatly improve the flavors as they have more of a chance to blend. Kind of like the way day-old chili tastes even better because the flavors mended longer...

Everyone has a different opinion about exactly how long to wait but most everyone agrees that time improves the outcome.

Oh yeah...congrats on the inaugural homebrew! :mug:

-Tripod

Don't fret, in my experience my Brown Ales or anything dark, tend to be the worst young. Resist the temptation and give it to 30 days or 45 if you can stand it and you will be rewarded.

I left it in the primary just short of a week (6 days, I think), then racked to a secondary where it stayed for 16 days. It will be two weeks in the bottle on Saturday. I tasted the stuff when I bottled it, and I remember thinking then that it tasted sort of medicine-like then as well.

My brew was a kit that my LHBS put together. It had a fair bit of black patent malt in it so maybe that's where some of the bitterness is coming from. I don't know...

I just cracked open a bottle of my inaugural homebrew, a brown ale. It has only been in the bottle for 12 days, so I know it is still underconditioned. It was carbonated about right. It's nice and clear, with a deep brown color. The problem right now is that it has a sort of bitter medicinal flavor and bitter aftertaste. I am hoping that this is just because it's a little early to be drinking it, and maybe a bit longer in the bottle will smooth this out. Is this a reasonable expectation?

I've found that browns tend to mellow very nicely after a few weeks. I've had a couple that tasted kind of astringent when they were green but turned out great after aging. If you can hold on to some for a couple months you will be blown away how good it tastes.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I do have some questions. :) I too am brewing my first homebrew and it is also a Brown Ale. How long did you keep your beer in the primary and secondary (if you used one)?

Lately, I've been keeping most of my beer in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks and they come out very clean tasting. I used to ALWAYS use a secondary for a long time but these days I only use it occasionally. I've found that keeping them on the yeast longer in the primary shortens the length of time that they need to age in the bottle before I consider them "conditioned".

I left it in the primary just short of a week (6 days, I think), then racked to a secondary where it stayed for 16 days. It will be two weeks in the bottle on Saturday. I tasted the stuff when I bottled it, and I remember thinking then that it tasted sort of medicine-like then as well.

My brew was a kit that my LHBS put together. It had a fair bit of black patent malt in it so maybe that's where some of the bitterness is coming from. I don't know...

An excess of Black Patent can lead to medicinal, phenolic flavors. But those flavors will mellow over time. Just give it a while, and you should be fine!

Bob

I made my first Stout end of July. I drank it end of august and it had a weird medicne plastic taste to it. My friends and Really though it had a bitter off flavor too. We started drinking it again last week, and it is an amazing beer. I wish I had another 2 cases of it. Time will heal all beers.

I feel much better now. Thanks for all the anecdotes about similar experiences with dark beers. I'll give it another couple of weeks at least and try again.

You don't have to wait at all.. Just keep brewing it wont affect anything. Trust me, I have over 30 gallons sitting in primary / secondaries and I am making another 12 gallons this weekend. My primarys are always used.

So it's been a few weeks since I first posted this message about off flavors in my brown ale. I am happy to report that given the extra time in the bottle it is shaping up into a respectable beer, as you all said it would. The plastic/medicine flavor is still there, but very faintly, and seems to go away a few minutes after the beer's been poured in the glass. Chalk up one more anecdote in the "Time heals all beers" score.

Back