Just started brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just put a brew on for the first time. It was a kit by a company called Black Rock. Its an amber ale kit I put on yesterday and I was just wondering if after nearly 24 hours the top should be looking like this. I think I stuffed a few things up so I just wanted to see if this was an obvious sign of a wrecked brew or totally normal.

Thanks for any responses!!!

Brew.jpg

Looks great! The lighter foam is krausen, and the darker brown stuff around the edges is happy yeast, chowing away on the sugars. Now close the lid and stop disturbing it!

Welcome to the hobby.

Looks normal to me. Now put that lid back on, make sure the room fermentation temp is good, grab a beer, and leave it alone for a week (or 4).

Hey, thanks heaps guys. Will leave it alone now. The challenge is keeping it cool with very limited space in the Melbourne summer!

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks great! The lighter foam is krausen, and the darker brown stuff around the edges is happy yeast, chowing away on the sugars. Now close the lid and stop disturbing it!

I think the yeast is in the lighter stuff. The brown/darker 'stuff' is hop particulate and other trub. Yeast tends to be white.

For the OP. Leave the lid on and quit opening. Repeatedly opening the top is about the worst thing you can do for the beer at this stage. ........ And it looks as though it is going great! Step away from the fermenter!

So you guys would recommend leaving it for 4 weeks before bottling?

You want an exact timeline, and you will start a big debate, 4 weeks is a fine time. Some go 2 weeks, I think 3 should be minimum. I generally go 6 weeks min. The longer you go, the longer the yeast has to clean up (should be well done by 4 weeks), Longer means less crap in the bottle; this helps pouring, but it also helps store-ability of the beer (more sediment usually means it will not keep as long)

Plus one to 4 weeks being a good time. Temperature control isn't as critical after about a week and a half.

Latest posts

Back