Just Started BIAB Brewing - What is This in the Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just started BIAB brewing. Brewed a couple of batches and they have turned out good. But I have noticed these floating in the wort. It seems like these exist in the wort while boiling as much smaller particles and coagulate when the wort is cooling. Just so I can understand the chemistry, what is it? I am using a fine mesh bag and a fine mesh hop basket while brewing. I did use Irish Moss which could be the reason?
20220109_145208.jpg

That's just cold break from chilling, nothing to be concerned about. Simply put, it's the proteins in the wort coming out of solution. Some will filter it out, many will leave it in. It might look like a lot when it initially settles in the fermenter but it will compact down quite a bit.

Not only nothing to worry about, but very healthy! It's full of proteins and other stuff that will be left in the kettle/fermenter instead of your glass. Clearer, brighter, cleaner tasting beer. You've got a very effective chiller.

Back