Just something I've figured out... I'm sure others have too

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
For the past several batches now, I've been running the wort, from the mash tun, through either a nylon hop bag, or nylon grain bag (typically used for BIAB) when going into the kettle. These bags have caught small particles that slipped past the bazooka screen inside my mash tun(s). So, catching them means less grain particles (or none, I hope) get into the boil.

I sampled the first batch I did this with last week (started doing it a few months back) and it's much cleaner than some of my previous batches. So, I'll continue to do this moving forward. I've been using the large grain bag, since it fits pretty well inside my 10 gallon Blichmann kettle and makes it easier on me.

So, if you're at all concerned about grain particles getting past your screen/mesh/etc inside the mash tun, into the kettle, give it a shot. I simply put the bag into the mash tun once all the wort has been collected, so that it's out of the way until cleanup time. Then it's not all that bad to cleanup, since it only had a bit of stuff go into it.

I'll try to get some pictures of what I'm talking about next time I brew (hopefully this coming weekend)... :drunk:

I thought I was getting a good vorlauf, which I continue to do, but I've been using the bag as well. Seems that some get through no matter how much I vorlauf. Even if it looks clear when I've done the vorlauf, I still get some in the nylon bag. IMO, it's very cheap insurance that doesn't add more than a couple of seconds to the brew process/day. I can get the bag in the kettle in 10-15 seconds, then it's just a couple of seconds to remove it and put it into the mash tun when going to boil.

Not saying it's for everyone, by any stretch. But, I would be interested in the results of some 'old timers' that give it a shot... I'm still new enough to home brewing that I need to use whatever additional steps make sense to get better and better brew... Although I might be splitting hairs by now. :rockin:

I do plan on re-brewing a recipe I made before I started doing this. I want to see if there's any difference in how it tastes compared with how I remember it. I might have a bottle, or two, of some that I made before starting to do this.. I'll need to keep them around for the comparison (if I can hold onto them that long)... :D

I do have a request in, with my 'tailor' to make some bags that will fit onto the end of 1/2" ID silicon tubing. Large enough on the end to be a large enough screen area to not hinder flow. But also be able to secure it to the tubing so that you don't need to hold onto it while draining the mash tun. I'll report back once I have some of those made up... It will be from the same material that the grain bags are made from.

no vorlauf I ever did came close to the clarity of recirculating. When I was vorlaufing, I'd do at least 1.5-2 gallons, usually more, and the wort never got all that clear. After 60 minutes of recircing, it's crystal clear.

I guess that should be obvious, but it is one of the things I love about the recirc system.

I mash in a voile bag then hop in a bag. My wort is pretty clear. I do not vorlauf either.

I do the same thing but with a stainless strainer (like one used for sifting flour). I, too, have found that regardless of the vorlauf, there is still some particles that cross over.

I also use the strainer on my wort coming from the kettle on the way to the fermenter. You wouldn't believe how much hop debris it catches. My beers have been might clear since I have started this method.

yeah i was doing this. vorlaufing never got my runoff totally clear. it does catch a lot.

using a bazooka screen as well.

I started doing the same "catch bag" technique on my last three batches and have been very pleased with the results so far. I have not had any of the final beer from either of the batches yet so I guess that will be the final proof one way or the other. I have used two nylon stockings, one inside of the other as the filter bag. (I used a nylon hop bag on the first batch and decided that I wanted even a finer mesh than that gave.) I use the entire stocking as the small particles of malt that are caught will plug up the stocking pretty quickly. Once I have finished sparging (double run batch) I pick up the stocking attached to the end of my run off tube and slowly and gently move the trapped wort to the top of the stocking, attached to the tube, that has far less caught particles of malt. (it is HOT so be careful) I am careful to just let the stockings drain and do not squeeze or force the wort out. The wort runs out pretty quickly and I am off to the boil. I have still been doing a 2 qt vorlauf to begin with to try and remove some of the larger and most concentrated malt particles. I started brewing with my dad the better part of 45 years ago and while it seems like almost everything in the process has changed over time, if this works out it will be one of the easiest and best changes I have ever made. I am looking forward to tasting the final beer from these batches!

I've been doing this with a fine mesh nylon bag for a couple of years now (the bag is light brown now). Usually it just catches a small amount but every now and then it will surprise me with a decent amount of junk. I agree that it only takes a few seconds including cleaning. TBH, I'm not sure it helps the final beer quality or clarity all that much but it ain't hurting anything and it's 'almost' effortless.

This
I might be splitting hairs by now.

You might as well not vorlauf if you are going to filter it. And if you're vorlaufing properly you shouldn't have any issues.

I use a 10gallon grain bag in my MLT and vourlaf 2-3 gallons worth. After one undrinkably astringent batch before I did this, I got real obsessive about it.

The grain bag makes empying spent grains simple (wearing dish gloves, I just pull the bag full of grains out and dump them in the compost heap) and it's easy to clean. Just hose it off, let it dry, then shake the remaining grain particles out.

I use a 10gallon grain bag in my MLT and vourlaf 2-3 gallons worth. After one undrinkably astringent batch before I did this, I got real obsessive about it.

The grain bag makes empying spent grains simple (wearing dish gloves, I just pull the bag full of grains out and dump them in the compost heap) and it's easy to clean. Just hose it off, let it dry, then shake the remaining grain particles out.

Do you have a false bottom, manifold, braided mesh, or nothing but the grain bag?

Do you have a false bottom, manifold, braided mesh, or nothing but the grain bag?

I have a CPVC manifold on both my mash tuns. On the 17.5 gallon tun, I put the grain bag over the manifold and tuck the excess in under it.

I'm using the 10-gallon bag that you can get from the homebrew online suppliers. I've used the same one for almost 2 years now.

TBH, I'm not sure it helps the final beer quality or clarity all that much but it ain't hurting anything and it's 'almost' effortless.

+1 on this statement - doesn't necessarily help, doesn't hurt either

I don't vorlauf anymore because I have noticed there isn't any noticeable difference in quality of beer. Just one or two less things to clean.

Latest posts

Back