Just received 125 year old sourdough yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klowneyy

Reaction score
I just received a 125 year old or older sourdough yeast. I'm planning on brewing a sour beer with it. The person I got it from says he's been building it up for awhile and should be ready to pitch.

It started in oakahoma in 1800 in 1900 it made its way to Europe and Africa where it made its way back to California I received it from a co owner of Dionysus brewing company.

So how long has it been in California?

Over time, from using and feeding the starter, as well as the amount of time in the environment will determine its characteristics.

Most likely after you use it the first time it will pick up wild yeast and bacteria from your local environment, and it's flavor will change.

It might have a unique blend blend from being so many places, but most likely it's taken on characteristics of where it was most recent.

Definitely would be interesting to see the results, and amount of sourdough starter you use, if you decide to make it.

Yeah I'm expecting it to change overtime with getting more wild yeast,bacteria, and bugs. I'm wanting to introduce brettanomcyes to it as well. Brettanomcyes isn't an air born yeast more direct contact. Not sure how long it was in California for. I'll have to ask the owner before me. I will update as I brew my beer. Also if it picks up the most recent flavors of where it was last makes me even more excited since I got it from a co owner of Dionysus brewery

Back