Just racked my 1st batch....and i messed up bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordzilla

Reaction score
So i racked my first batch of raspberry wheat today from the primary to the secondary sanitized my secondary bucket and at the last second decided i would use the glass carboy. In all it wasnt a bad idea to use the carboy until i started the racking process almost done racking when i realized that i never sanitized the carboy. the carboy is brand new never used and remained in its packaging until today. How do i tell if my beer becomes infected? Im gonna be watching this batch like a hawk. And if it does become infected can i still save the batch?

There is no certainty that it will get infected just a hight risk with no sanitation. You have a couple things on your side. First its not fresh wort you have a thriving yeast population that will out compete a lot of other critters. Secondly, it already has an alcohol content so that will further impede bacterial growth. as far as what to look for. infections come in all kinds. do a search of these forms for infected beer threads and you will see. major signs are fuzzy mold growths on the surface, a crusty pellicle forming on it or odd smells like vinegar. Even if you suspect an infection still bottle as normal and consume it early. some infections take a long time to make a noticeable flavor difference in the final beer.

you should be fine. just continue as normal and remember to sanitize next time.

sanitizing stuff for beer is like wearing a seatbelt.Its unlikley anything happen but better to be safe than not. I would trust all my cleaned unsanitized equipment but not what i touch in my kitchen.(would have to sanitize my kitchen) Make any sense?

update, took a look at my carboy tonight i can see co2 bubbles and there is a little foam forming on the top of the beer. Color is starting to clear up, gonna let it sit for 2-3 weeks before putting it into bottles.

Sounds good...the likelihood of you getting an infection is less then 10%!;) Seriously, consider that mankind has been brewing beer way longer then they have known about yeast and bacteria infections. Even if you're 100% careful, there's no way to stay sanitized in a brewing situation. As long as you provide an oportunity for the healthy yeast batch to gorge out on your wort, it and the subsequent alcohol will overcome any chance for a bacteria infection.

Latest posts

Back