Just picked up 2 gallons of Fresh Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snackson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Julian, CA today with the family and picked up 2 gallons of Fresh Unpasteurized Cider from The Cider Mill. I have attempted to make ciders in the past with Champagne Yeast and Ale Yeast and did not like the taste at all. Maybe it was the fact that I was using cider from the store opposed to fresh stuff like this.

Which yeast should I go with, White Labs or Wyeast for the cider? Does anyone have some good recipes to try out? I want something with a lot of apple flavor and sweet. I can keg it or bottle it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

I've had good luck with WLP775, but Wyeast probably has the same strain in a better package?

I've also made good hard cider with fresh local cider and the big box store juice.

Good luck!

Made a starter with some store bought cider and WLP720 Sweet Mead yeast. Mainly made the starter to use the strain on a couple different ciders, one with apple juice, one with the fresh cider and one with store bought cider.

ESB 1968 is a good yeast to make cider. It has medium attenuation and goes clear very soon after fermentation is over. I have also used Red Star wine yeast too. I prefer the residual sweetness from the ESB yeast that the wine yeast doesn't leave. I have two separate 1/2 gallon batches going, one with plain Sam's blended Apple juice, and one with a cup of added white sugar. It has been a week, and the non sugar added are still fermenting at the same rate it appears.

Latest posts

Back