Just moved to Dallas area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
Hey guys! My wife and I are in the process of moving from Kentucky to the Dallas, TX area (following a job). We are currently in a temporary corporate apartment in Plano while we house hunt. My wife's office will be in Plano so we will likely end up somewhere between there and Dallas (if we can snatch something up in this crazy market). Just wanted to say Hi and see if there is any must know info for a homebrewer in this area. Been brewing for 6 years, currently do mostly all-grain. All of my equipment is still in Kentucky and will likely end up in storage for a month or so until we get settled, but hopefully I will be back to brewing by Spring.

Thanks!

Welcome to the area. We have a few homebrew stores here. Haven't been to it in a couple years, but you'll have 1 fairly close (Homebrew Hq http://www.homebrewhq.com/ ), and a little farther away, a decent 1 I go to sometimes ( http://www.finevinewines.com/ ). The other homebrew stores are on the other side of the metroplex from there, and with traffic what it is here, a LONG drive timewise.

Welcome to the area! HomebrewHQ is where I always go. They have a pretty good selection and are very friendly. If you're ever out near Ft. Worth, Stubby's is decent. Most the liquor stores around here will swap 5# tanks if you keg. There's a shop I go to in Grapevine (I'm sure I'm over paying) that charges $22/5# swap with current hydro.

I go to HBHQ for all my ingredients and smaller/consumable gear. Welcome to the area! I sent you a message.

I like HBHQ as well. Good luck on the homebuying, it's crazy here. Just bought a house, the process will definitely drive you to drink!

HBHQ is where I go also, Ft Worth is way to far for me. Also, when it gets closer to summer you might want to think about your fermentation processes as it gets hot....

Should you find yourself in Denton at some point, our LHBS is Baron's. Lots to do in our weirdo little town - start off by going to Arts & Jazz Fest in April :mug:

Welcome to the area! Hope your house-hunting goes well. I've seen houses popping up on the market in our neighborhood well over what they were just 2 years ago. It's crazy out there!

Dallas Homebrew (aka Fine Vine Wines or The Winemaker's Toy Store) should be pretty close to you, then! I've never had a bad experience there. I've been using Baron's Brew Works in Denton more now that it's open, though, since I work in Denton and it's more convenient, but I still go to DHB when Baron's doesn't have what I'm looking for.

We managed to snag a house in the Carrollton area. We have a few more weeks before we close but ready to get settled and start brewing!

Welcome to the area mate. I'm not a million miles from you. (Las Colinas)

Txbrewing in haltom city is another great option. It's my go to place. Great store, great selection great bunch of folks there.

The Blue Bonnet Brewoff is coming soon. It's the big banana of homebrew comps/festival in the state. This is the fist year I'll be there.

Dallas HB should be close to you. I prefer HBHQ but they are good too. Great luck finding a house - it is really hard to do these days in this area.

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like Im almost equal distance between HBHQ and Dallas HB. Guess I will just have to check them both out!

(And yes, it is crazy out there in this housing market. We were 1 of 15 offers this house got the first 24 hours it was on the market and we upped our original offer 3 times in order to win out. I need a beer.)

(And yes, it is crazy out there in this housing market. We were 1 of 15 offers this house got the first 24 hours it was on the market and we upped our original offer 3 times in order to win out. I need a beer.)

It's been nuts for a couple years, now. The only reason we were able to buy our house in 2013 was because we found out about it before it even hit the market. We had been getting massively outbid on houses that we didn't even really like, but were just trying to get in to something.

Cheers on winning, though! :mug:

Back