Just kegged up a comp beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
This thing is wicked good warm and mostly flat! For being a SMaSH (The theme of this years club comp) it is one of the best "to style" beers I have ever tasted and it is in a style I normally do not like! It may not win but I feel like it doesn't matter because I have a 1/4 bbl full of it!!!

:ban: :mug: :ban:

Yes, I will post the results and the recipe AFTER the comp. I have some fellow HB club members that are lurkers here and would hate to give them my ideas!

:cross:

I won 1st place! What a GREAT day. I got to hang out with some great people and taste/judge some fabulous brews.

Overall I took 1st place with my French Saison and 3rd with my young APA. I got some great feedback from a pro brewer and some people whom I respect VERY much. When I was told,"Ya know, I hate to say this but your beers have really gotten MUCH better than where they should be for you being a fairly new brewer." (Compared to these guys I still smell like pee.) I owe it ALL to HBT. I would not be anywhere near the brewer I am today without all the help from the HBT greats. I would name you all but I am sure you know who you are and it would be a long list!

Since I know how this place is, how about I share up my recipes? Remember these are SMaSH beer so they are super simple!

French Saison
(1st place)

11# bohemian pilsen malt (fully modified)
4 oz of French Aramis hops (1oz @ 60, 15, 7 and 0)
Wyeast 3711 French saison

Mash @ 148. 151, 168

Ferment it warm 72F+ and in hindsight you can skip the 7 and 0 minute additions as this hop is like an 8%AA warrior; REALLY clean with not much else.

APA
(3rd place)
15# Vienna
all the centennial hops you can feasibly get in it. Mine has about a pound! I mash hoped, added in a growing quantity every 8 minutes during the boil and the used a hop back with 2oz in it. I dry hopped with 3 oz in the serving keg!

US-05

Ferment it cool 65F

Zamial said:
I won 1st place! What a GREAT day. I got to hang out with some great people and taste/judge some fabulous brews.

Overall I took 1st place with my French Saison and 3rd with my young APA. I got some great feedback from a pro brewer and some people whom I respect VERY much. when I was told,"Ya know, I hate to say this but your beers have really gotten MUCH better than where they should be for you being a fairly new brewer." (Compared to these guys I still smell like pee.) I owe it ALL to HBT. I would not be anywhere near the brewer I am today without all the help from the HBT greats. I would name you all but I am sure you know who you are and it would be a long list!

Since I know how this place is how about I share up my recipes? Remember these are SMaSH beer so they are super simple!

French Saison
(1st place)

11# bohemian pilsen malt (fully modified)

WTG!!! Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back