just kegged a batch and got a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanbrew

Reaction score
i just brewed a batch i got from brew and grow minnesota. it was a kit and was called dortmunder. it was in the primary for 22 days and secondary for 9 days. i put it in the keg and force carbed it and gave it a taste! i am a little disapointed, it as a big taste of pear flavor. i didnt expect this, is it suppose to have a pear flavor or does a pear flavor mean a bad batch! its drinkable but isnt great!

first of all, lay of the exclamation marks, they are serious and dont need to be thrown around !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that felt good, I see your point... ha here my drunk ass goes again, post your recipe then we can help you. What was the temperature of your fermentation, MN seem cold probably no problem there. post the recipe along wth the yeast and we can help

I find my beers take on some weird flavors right after I force carb them. Once the CO2 fully dissolves they always go away. This may not be the case for your batch, so post the recipe and your process so we can help a bit more.

This is the recipe and i followed instructions to the "T". anymore help to give me?

Recipe for

DORTMUNDER
Yield: 5 gallons

Starting Gravity: 1.048 - 1.056 Final Gravity: 1.010 - 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 4.8% - 6.0%
Hop IBUs: 23 - 29

lbs. Plain Light Dry Malt Extract quart capacity)
1 lb. Crushed Crystal Malt 30LINGREDIENTS (INCLUDED): EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
6.6 lbs. Plain Light Malt Extract Stainless Steel or Enamel Pot (at least 12
1 6.5 Gallon Fermenter with grommeted lid
8 oz. Crushed Carapils Airlock
1 oz. Hallertau (Bittering) Siphon Package (5 feet of siphon tube, bottle
2 oz. Cascade (Finishing Flavoring) filler, racking tube with tip, and bucket clip)
2 each Hop Boiling Bags Hydrometer
60 each Crown Caps Bottle Brush
1 each Beer Yeast No-Rinse Cleanser
5 oz Priming sugar Liquid Crystal Strip Thermometer
Beer Bottles (approximately 53 of 12 oz. capacity,
returnable bottles only) Bottle Capper
Bottling Bucket with Spigot
Floating Thermometer

PROCEDURES

RECOMMENDATION: READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FROM BEGINNING TO END BEFORE YOU BEGIN. ALL TEMPERATURES LISTED ARE FAHRENHEIT.

A. Following the cleanser package instructions, thoroughly clean and sanitize these items using No-Rinse cleanser:

Primary fermenter
Lid
Airlock
Hydrometer
Heat-tolerant spoon
Laboratory or floating thermometer

B. Pour two gallons of clean water into a 4 gallon or larger pot. If included in your recipe, pour crushed grains into the cloth bag and tie the end into a knot to close it. If crushed grains are not included, go to Step C. Place the grain- filled bag into the brewpot water and heat to approximately 160o - 170o. DO NOT BOIL THE GRAINS. Carefully remove the grain bag and allow it to drain into the brewpot without squeezing. Discard the grain-filled bag.

C. Heat the brewpot water to boiling. Add malt extract syrup and/or dry malt extract. Stir constantly until it returns to a boil. If your recipe includes Malto Dextrin or Rice Syrup Solids, add at this time. Add bittering hops. Be careful not to let the pot boil over. Boil for 55 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add finishing flavoring hops 15 minutes prior to end of boil. Add finishing aroma hops 5 minutes prior to end of boil (total boiling time is 60 minutes).
*** Note - liquid malt extract will pour easier if you first place the tin in a pan of hot water for 10-15 minutes.

I don't have any info on the Dortmunder, but I had to say "Hi" to somebody in the local area. I go to Brew and Grow also.

That's why I started with a simple Pale ale, also from Brew & Grow. That way I'd know what it was supposed to taste like. I also force carb.

I'll be brewing my 7th batch tomorrow and I haven't filled a bottle yet.

Jody :mug:

What yeast did you use and what temps did you ferment in?

Dortmunder is a lager style and should've fermented in colder temps (45deg - 55deg F). Higher fermentation temps result in estery (fruity, like pear) flavors.

Back