Just got my water report....what do you guys think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpost704

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into the chemistry of my brewing water. I received my Ward Labs report today. What do you guys think?

pH 7.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 370
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.62
Cations / Anions, me/L / 6.7 7.0

ppm

Sodium, Na 11
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 83
Magnesium, Mg 28
Total Hardness, CaCO3 324
Nitrate, NO3-N 2.8 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 9
Chloride, Cl 16
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 336
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 277
Total Phosphorus, P < 0.01
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01 "<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

The quite high alkalinity will need to be addressed. If you chose to travel the acidification route, from an economical perspective it may be a deal breaker. Other than that, the water looks decent.

With the little knowledge I have on water chemistry, i did notice that the alkalinity seemed high. At this point i'm just trying to figure out what all my options would be.

1.5 mL of 88% lactic acid per gallon will bring your alkalinity down to about 24 ppm.

It's sad that AMS/CRS isn't available in North America. It would turn that into a perfect brewing liquor.

That is a fairly well mineralized water with significant Ca and Mg. The Mg is nearing the limit, but its not crazy high, but I do recommend reducing that a bit for most brewing. Given the very high alkalinity and very modest Cl and SO4 levels, that water is very well-suited for lime softening. That would knock down the Ca, Mg, and alkalinity levels and make the water more suited for brewing. But that is a lot more trouble and effort than using a RO machine.

Back