Just Got 20oz of Hops - Tell me What Grains to Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

SWMBO just bought me 20 oz of hops from Yakima Valley http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/ipasuperstarpack3(2ozsampler).htm and I'm looking for recommendations on how to divvy them up/what grains to pair them with?

I got 2oz each of:
  • Azacca
  • Cascade
  • Centennial
  • Citra
  • El Dorado
  • Jarrylo
  • Mosaic
  • Nugget
  • Warrior
  • Willamette
While I could easily do 10 different 1 gallon SMaSH batches, I'd rather stretch them out and do 2 or 3 5 gallon batches.

I've got a whole lot of yeast at the ready: S-05, Nottingham, Bry-97, Scotch Ale, Wyeast 2112, WLP 007, so I just need to buy the grains. Favorite beer styles are Pale Ales, DIPAs, and Porters.

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Looks like you could make a nice ipa, dry hopped with cascade. A nice recipe i have used with quite a few of those hops is biermunchers outer limits ipa

Lots of simple IPA grain bills - 2-row and C-40.

Oh, and try a batch where late hops are a 50/50 combo of Centennial and Nugget. It produces this wonderful positively orangey flavor. Really tasty.

I could give a suggestion on how to use the warrior or nugget but without knowing what kind of beers you like, I could hit the perfect combination or be so far off base as to be ridiculous. So give us more of a hint on what kinds of beer you like.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Favorite beers are Arrogant Bastard, Lagunitas Sucks, Founders Porter, Daisy Cutter Pale Ale, Sorachi Ace, Huma Lupacious, Sublimely Self Righteous, CEO Stout.

Definitely leaning towards using Nugget and Warrior for bittering, but didn't know if someone had a recipe that was all Azacca and Citra, or Centennial and El Dorado... Also, I'm not opposed to doing 2.5 gallon batches, just trying to stay away from 1 gallon batches.

Buy pale ale malt as your base. Then get some crystal 10l, 40l, 60l, carapils and 3-6lbs of Vienna. Make 3 or 4 beers, switch which caramel and mix in the carapils and Vienna equally in all.

Or pick one caramel, same amount carapils and Vienna each batch
Bitter with warrior then use 3 of the hops mixed equally at around 1/3 5-10 min, 1/3 at 180 for a 15 min stand, then dry hop with remaining 1/3

Bitter with warrior then use 3 of the hops mixed equally at around 1/3 5-10 min, 1/3 at 180 for a 15 min stand, then dry hop with remaining 1/3

I don't know why I didn't think of this? Great idea! Thanks.

I have a few "leftover" bags of Munich, C4O, and Victory, so I will just need to get some 2 row and Carapils.

Try this for a 5 Gallon Batch -

13 pounds - 2 Row (US)
13 oz - carafoam
13 oz - Carapils

1 oz - Warrior (60 min)
.8 oz - Mosaic (20 min)
.8 oz - Cascade (10 min)
.8 oz - Mosaic (Flameout)
1.8 oz - Citra - Dry hop - 5-7 days in secondary

That ought to give you a nice clean, fruitier IPA. Pretty high on the IBU's. Warrior is around 16 AA, Mosaic and Citra are around 13% and Cascade will give you the spice to give it some backbone to counteract the fruitier Mosaic and Citra hops.

Carafoam and Carapils should give you a great creamy head and good retention to give you a classic lacy glass. Simple 2 row to round out the base.

Use US-05.

Back