Just finished my first yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naggs

Reaction score
:tank:

Always used dry yeast in the past, but I wanted to use Wyeast 1056 in my American Wheat Ale I'm brewing Sunday. Not bad at all really. It was like a mini brew day!

Very addictive hobby! :)

Congrats bro did u use a stir plate? And that is a pretty common yeast so the next step is to wash it and reuse it for future brews. 'mug. Chopps

Smack pack. blew up no problem, which was nice.

No stir plate on this one, but I made a decent sized starter (about 1.5 quarts per Beersmith's recommendation), so should be good to go.

Definitely going to try to wash it when done. Have to try that, too, right?! :D

When you're swirling the starter up to bring the yeast into suspension for pitching, make sure you don't shake too vigorously! I made that mistake a week ago with my own very first starter, and the result was a yeast-champagne spray all over my face and the kitchen floor. Just what I needed at a critical moment in the brew day.

Op yeah yeast washing is super easy there is a sticky in the yeast section and an awesome brew wiki on it with pics so go for it and report back ur success Chopps

Hockeyhunter99 said:
if you have a smack pack, why the starter??

Because smack packs don't really have enough yeast for proper pitch rates for many beers. The smack and swell is really just useful to tell you that the yeast is still viable. If it takes forever to swell up, you know the yeast aren't very healthy and may need stepped up in more than one starter.

Would have been easier to just use S-05. If there is a dry yeast equivalent I would use it for the cost/convenience factor.

WLP-001 = Wyeast 1056 = S-05, correct? Just like S-04 is the whitbread strain.

To each their own though; I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this. The only real advantage liquid yeast has over dry is a larger variety. Dry yeast is cheaper/easier to use and is just as good.

Agree on all counts, Harrydrez. However, I plan on harvesting this yeast when I'm done and 1056 is a pretty standard ale yeast. Good times!

Because smack packs don't really have enough yeast for proper pitch rates for many beers. The smack and swell is really just useful to tell you that the yeast is still viable. If it takes forever to swell up, you know the yeast aren't very healthy and may need stepped up in more than one starter.

Over 100 billion cells isn't enough? Proper pitch rates for anything up to 1.060.

Hockeyhunter99 said:
Over 100 billion cells isn't enough? Proper pitch rates for anything up to 1.060.

According to whom? According to Jamil's pitching rate calculator I mentioned earlier, 5gal of 1.060 wort needs more like 208 billion cells. Just playing around with it, and assuming a batch size right at 5gal, 100bn cells is an appropriate pitch rate for a wort of 1.028.

Both numbers above assume you have a very very fresh vial or pack. The day yeast is packaged and leaves the lab, cells die and the viability decreases. In order to get a proper pitch rate, that's another thing you need to take into account.

100 billion smack pack is adequate to make beer but less than recommended by Jamil (Mr. Malty) and many others to make great beer. An 11g pack of US-05 is twice the cells at half the price and the exact same strain with greater shelf stability. You can harvest the completed US-05 yeast just like you would with 1056, but now treat it like liquid (need a starter for the next batches). And you would be harvesting much healthier yeast because of the greater pitch rate. I wouldn't reuse the yeast if you just pitched the smack pack without a starter.

US-05 is the default for a standard American ale. I'll never buy another pack of 1056 again.

I wouldn't reuse the yeast if you just pitched the smack pack without a starter.

???????

Why not???? yeast too stressed?? not being confrontational, just wondering why not.

i have used smack packs washed and reused many generations without problems. after the original batch i wash the yeast and use a starter for the next batch.

and we are arguing about 1056, one of the most generic strains out there. under-pitching, over-pitching, starter or not, there is really no flavor enhancement by this strain. it is primarily use as a backup strain because of its vitality.

You can harvest the completed US-05 yeast just like you would with 1056, but now treat it like liquid (need a starter for the next batches).

I would not bother making a starter for a pitch of slurry unless it had been several weeks since harvesting.

1056 is marvelous. Fermented my 7.2% abv IPA in four days flat, no starter....enjoy!!

Agreed!! it is a good strain, not doubting that. it is a pretty general yeast strain. and a go-to for many brewers. very hearty.

that is why i was wondering about the starter

Thar she blows! Pitched the starter into my right on target 1.049 OG late Sunday night. Had good bubbles last night in the airlock. Went downstairs tonight and thought "man, it really smells like beer tonight". It sure does! Airlock was slammed and bucket lid was bulging!

Quickly sanitized 3/8" hose and put blowoff into a gallon of sanitizer. This hobby may be long in the ultimate payoff, but the processes keep you on your toes!

Back