Just EFF it "beer"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
Welp, we all got Covid and I'm locked down on a quarantine. Let's brew!
I couldn't find my LME, but I have a bunch of hops and fruit I wanted to use.
All fruit was fresh when frozen.
1 gallon bag of frozen grapes
.5 gallon bag of frozen blackberries
.5 gallon bag of frozen blueberries
Small pack of frozen strawberries
2 toasted pie crusts (not used at Thanksgiving)
2 lb of table sugar
Then I just dumped all my Newport hops for boil and eyeballed Northern Brewer and Crystal hops about 10 minutes after flameout.
It was VERY sweet and VERY bitter so I topped off with a little more cold water and about a cup more sugar.

I almost added some oats just to add them, but I am just trying to use stuff up from the fruit picking season and unused ingredients from the holidays.

I have the new Still, so if it's not a great brewz I'll see if it makes an ok spirit.

It's my trash can hard seltzer? Gorgeous shade of purple, by the way.

Last edited:
The bubbler is bubbling! It really smells good! The smell of fermentation is so rewarding. @Jayjay1976 what would you call this Covid monstrosity? A wine with hops? A hard seltzer (assuming I carbonate it)?

I'm in the first 24 of primary. My wife asked today why there was "pink crap" all over her cabinets.

Last edited:
20220115_190108.jpg
20220115_185931.jpg
Racking the stuff.
Bottled and sampled. It's got some hop burn, but it's nice.

i just clicked this thread, and speak of the DEVIL as i often do...this came on the radio...

i'm thinking this is more of a wine though?

edit: i remember you, but you changed your avatar or something?

yeah that's why i remember you, people with a sense of humor always stand out!!

2 toasted pie crusts (not used at Thanksgiving)

Last edited:
i hope you felt like a pour from your nitro stout tap.....

and sorry ngd, but your recipe deserves some wise cracking, ;) :mug:

i hope you felt like a pour from your nitro stout tap.....[...]

We got deep into the stout last night. It's going to be awhile before I can brew again due to the spinal fusion thing - especially anything as massive as that friggin' double imperial stout - so tonite was dark rum on the rocks night...

Cheers! (It's like a stout, only more destructive :D)

20220117_161614.jpg

It's very hard to describe because it's so sharp. I used a lot of hops and all the sugars were highly fermentable. It's very dry and tastes almost like a black tea with a lot of fruity and bittering hops. Hop burn is strong because it's only been 2 weeks. I bottled Saturday night and it's now Monday evening. But I began bottling in my 1liter Polar bottles as to avoid bottle bombs when experimenting.

I almost get the flavor of the little peach ring candies but if they had some citrus pith and no sugar. Definitely grapefruit and orange pith. I actually like how dry and bigger this is. Gotta find that LME and make something next week!!

@bracconiere I changed my profile picture from the liquor store to this uncanny valley man mannequin head. Glad to be back on here. If I'm not playing on here it means I'm not brewing.

But now I'm gonna start distilling. I am looking into a nice old school rum. Seems easy for a starter.

But now I'm gonna start distilling. I am looking into a nice old school rum. Seems easy for a starter.

check out the local feed stores for molassess.....can get like 5 gallons for $20.....and remember it's going to only be 60% or so fermentable so shoot high for a OG....

check out the local feed stores for molassess.....can get like 5 gallons for $20.....and remember it's going to only be 60% or so fermentable so shoot high for a OG....
How much molasses do you think I'd need for a 5 gallon primary? My still is only 3 gallons, buti can deal with that later.

How much molasses do you think I'd need for a 5 gallon primary? My still is only 3 gallons, buti can deal with that later.

doesn't quite sound right, but beersmith2 says 20lbs....it predicts a FG of less then zero...and from experience i know it end around 1.030-40, starting at 1.150-60, giving 16% ABV, which will take some tough yeast to actually get......

it's been a while since i fermented molasses so, take as a guess....

edit: not to hijack the forum, but....

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29404&start=15

I saw some stuff online about doing 1 gallon of molasses and 2lb sugar for 5 gallons. To get about ~12%. But hey. This will be a fun test. They did this for hundreds of years by just throwing molasses and any other crap that could ferment into a still. I'm sure I can get through it.

I'm sure I can get through it.

man you got a sense of humor, i'm sure you'll tackle the game of life fine! (and just a tip, not to be an scum bag drug dealer, but try a 50/50 molases barley brew...aged a few weeks on cherry wood...swear tastes like cookie dough....

man you got a sense of humor, i'm sure you'll tackle the game of life fine! (and just a tip, not to be an scum bag drug dealer, but try a 50/50 molases barley brew...aged a few weeks on cherry wood...swear tastes like cookie dough....

For distilling or regular brewing?

I've priced out a gallon of black strap and some charred oak. This is gonna be an easy first run, I think.

As a test, is there a minimum amount of liquid I should put in a 3 gallon still as a trial run? I was thinking about buying some 40s of malt liquor and just testing the general process and understanding the heads, tails and hearts and such.

1 gallon? Make some real malt liquor!

Back