Just Doughed In!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strave19

Reaction score
Awww yeah! First ever homebrew. All grain (I)IPA. 13lbs grain, 9oz of cascade, centennial, and amarillo in equal parts.

Just started my mash...well about 15mins ago. Added grain at H2O temp of 164 as per beersmith-but after adding grain i was only about 148 (trying for 150-152) so I added some hot water off of the stove.. I was outside and it was a windy battle... I think I'm about at 150-151 now, so the countdown has begun! Really hoping I dont run out of propane during the boil :confused: I'm sure I'm going to forget something, and it might not turn out that great but I'm excited.

1st mistake... I'm using my boil kettle w/false bottom for my mashtun, I have the hosing attached to the false bottom because I dont have a spigot... and I realized after the fact that I cant put the lid on tight with the hose coming out! Oh well... I might lose a few degrees, I have 1/2lb of caramel 60 and 1lb of munich so hopefully if it ends up thin it will still be palatable.

Cheers all - I'm just stoked and nobody is here to share the stoke with at the moment! :rockin: :mug:

Thanks guys,
She's cooling off in the bathtub. I've got my thermometer, tubing, racking supplies, and airlock, etc... in a bath of starsan. Carboy has a gallon of starsan in it being shaken periodically... Hopefully its all downhill from here.

Things went okay but I wont know until I take a OG reading as I put it in the carboy. My mash got a little haywire but i think it was between 52-49 the entire time so i should be okay. Sparge was weird, I did sort-of a batch/fly hybrid because I only had a small 1 gallon pot to heat sparge water with. The grain probably stayed at temperature for more like 1:45 :confused: ... oh well... Smells FANTASTIC, even had neighbors ( I live in an apartment) come outside talking about what smelled so good :) also had a taste.... freaking delicous (really sweet) but good!

Also decided to add 1oz of amarillo @ 5mins just for S&G's :ban:

I'll let you know what the OG ended up :ban:

Might also be about time to indulge in a few store bought brews... I didnt drink while brewing (but I did have a beer w/lunch pre-brew) :mug:

Damn! left the water running as I typed this, ran into the bathroom to see the pot floating around! Hopefully no water splashed in - the lid was on... I'll RDWAHASBB

Ya I triple posted...that happened

Damn! left the water running as I typed this, ran into the bathroom to see the pot floating around! Hopefully no water splashed in - the lid was on... I'll RDWAHASBB

Ya I triple posted...that happened

All the best beers I've made have some great little story behind them! :rockin:

So my efficency was 80% which is cool, especially considering there were ~5.5gallons post boil so it might have even been higher. OG is 1.083 The bad news is I lost like 2 gallons of wort due to hop-crap in the pot! I couldnt siphon with my autosiphon...kept clogging. I didnt really know what else to do so I left it at about 3 or 3.5 gallons and im going to figure out a straining/hopbag system for next time.

So my efficency was 80% which is cool, especially considering there were ~5.5gallons post boil so it might have even been higher. OG is 1.083 The bad news is I lost like 2 gallons of wort due to hop-crap in the pot! I couldnt siphon with my autosiphon...kept clogging. I didnt really know what else to do so I left it at about 3 or 3.5 gallons and im going to figure out a straining/hopbag system for next time.

A quick easy solution to a clogging auto-siphon is taking a sanitized paint strainer bag (don't get ripped off by buying those mesh bags as the LHBS) and putting it at the sucking end of the siphon. It will keep everything out nicely.

A quick easy solution to a clogging auto-siphon is taking a sanitized paint strainer bag (don't get ripped off by buying those mesh bags as the LHBS) and putting it at the sucking end of the siphon. It will keep everything out nicely.

Hey thanks for the tip! :mug: I knew people used those bags but I wasnt sure how. I was thinking using a hop bag next time too. I had 3oz of leaf and 4oz of pellet in the boil so there were a good 2-3inches in the bottom of the pot that I couldnt get!

Back