Just bottled my 1st Apfelwein 0% alcohol reading????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adejesus

Reaction score
I have been fermenting a batch of Apfelwein for 3 months. I just bottled it up and took a reading and it read 1.000 - 0%. I dont understand why this would happen any suggestions on what could have happened?

If you are using a hydrometer, you have to take a reading pre fermentation, then post fermentation to calculate the ABV%. Post fermentation reading alone will not give you an alcohol %.

As was already touched on. a hydrometer does not measure alcohol, it measures sugar. You can then use those measurements to determine the amount of alcohol in the brew. If you start out with 1.045 which is about 6% PA or Potential Alcohol, than if your final reading is 1.00 ore less like .995 than you have hit the mark and are at 6% but if your FG is 1.007 than you ABV is only 5% because there is still unfermented sugar in the mix. make sense???

Latest posts

Back