Just a reminder!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genjin

Reaction score
Many folks on this forum recommend that noobs like me give our beers time to age and improve. I am an impatient person, and while i knew that they were right, I couldn't help but drink my first few beers as soon as they began to carb. At the same time the SWMBO had the idea of having a tasting party with our friends to try some of my beers and some good commercial beers. So, I begrudgingly put away some twelvepacks and kept brewing. The party is tomorrow, so earlier in the week I brought up the beers from the basement and threw them in the fridge. Tonight I cracked a beer from my very fist batch, an Irish Red Ale.

Wow! I fermented this thing too warm and didn't have my process down. As I bottled it back in February, estery off flavors were floating around the kitchen and I was more than a little disappointed that I hadn't done a better job. After two weeks in the bottle it was drinkable and the off-flavors were there but less than at bottling. Now, eight weeks in the bottle this beer is AWESOME! Caramelly goodness without being sweet and a firm bitterness that quickly dissipates. It is brilliantly clear and just a terrific example of the style.

I implore beginning brewers to put away some of those first batches for a month or two. You wont regret it! Live beer is wonderful thing.

This is the hardest thing to learn; having the patience to let your beer do its thing. Brew your SWMBO something special for steering you into it.

Yeah, it's really hard being patient, but it's definitely worth it. The second brew I made was a Scottish ale that seemed to lack head and character. After two months in the closest it's delicious.

Back