Just a quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on your hop addition schedule. If you are boiling for 60mins, and have a 60min addition, I would add the DME first, after it has dissolved add your hops. It should not take more than 5mins with some stirring to get the DME into solution.

PMs I've done usually called for adding the extract when the boil begins. That brings the temp. down, so I'd have to get it boiling again. When the boil starts a second time, that's when I'd start the hop schedule.

Haven't done a PM in a while, so others might have better input. Good luck!

I'm a fan of adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil. If you have 6 pounds extract, you could add some at the beginning and at least half at the end. That would be my preference.

I'm a fan of adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil. If you have 6 pounds extract, you could add some at the beginning and at least half at the end. That would be my preference.

What would be the reasoning for adding extract at the end of the boil? Are there any advantages?

Since I'm only using 2.00 lbs of DME I think I'm just going to add it post-boil

Thanks guys!

Back