Need some quick help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I am finished with my mash, and according to BF I should be at 1.040 pre boil. I am now at 1.053 give or take a point. My mash volume is a bit short at 6.5 and should be closer to 6.8 gallons. Would it be wise to add about a half gallon into the boil? Any quick input is welcome.

I wouldn't add water, it will affect your bitterness level and may water down the malt flavor.
It depends on the style beer that either will so affect.
Just roll with it as is.

I will try and control the boil and make sure I don't have too much boil off. Gonna be a bit low of 5 gallons I think
You can add distilled water at the time of yeast pitch if the volume is low, and the gravity is higher than expected.
This will bring your recipe's bitterness back into alignment as well.

... OP asked for quick help about 1 hr, 45 min ago ... I

I'm guessing the boil is completed by the time readers read this reply.

There may be an interesting "side topic":

• do you adjust when pre-boil volume or SG is "off"?
  • how much does it need to be "off" before you adjust?

Yes. Be sure it's free of chlorine/chloramines.

eta: adding water with a known low mineral content would be better, but with a 1/2 gal adjustment, I wouldn't be too concerned about the water's mineral content.
It was less that a half gallon in a 5 gallon batch. I went with it. See what happens.

I don't really get this. Pre-boil gravity higher than expected means bitterness level and malt flavor are already going to be different than expected if no adjustment is made.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I did not want to point it out as I am fairly new and did not know for sure.

As a side note to all this, I have no idea what happened. I followed BF recommended water amounts but ended up short preboil. My standard had been about 5 gallons into the mash,, 3 as sparge and that gets me to a final amount of 5.5 or so into the fermenter. I think I shorted myself on the mash water. BF said to use about 4.5 gallons and I always use 5. Oh well, live and learn. The OG was at about 1.052 to 1.054. Should have been at 1.050 so I am good with that. Pitched my dry WLP001 last night about 5 or so. It is in my ferm fridge at 67 degrees and holding. I am not going to even look at it, except for a quick peek to see what kind of activity I am getting until at least Tuesday. Dry hops are at the ready and I figure those will go in next week. A 4 to 5 day dry hop and I will bottle and see what I end up with. Oh, it is supposed to be an APA, but the bitterness is a bit high at 59. I wanted to go with the recipe this time and see what I have.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, and thank you all for the help. Hopefully this will spur on a discussion about top off and when to do it.

Of course, I am going to put my post on the other forum as well for info.

Last edited:
I don't really get this. Pre-boil gravity higher than expected means bitterness level and malt flavor are already going to be different than expected if no adjustment is made.
Yeah, you are right I misread the post and also had a few beers. I never make any adjustments during the mash or boil. I tried that a couple times and it didn't work out. I just roll with what I have and take goods notes for the next time I brew and make adjustments.

Yeah, you are right I misread the post and also had a few beers. I never make any adjustments during the mash or boil. I tried that a couple times and it didn't work out. I just roll with what I have and take goods notes for the next time I brew and make adjustments.
LOL. I went the other way, we will see what happens.

If it is pre-boil then most likely hops had not been added yet. So bitterness should not be a factor.

Sorry. I did not read all post before responding. Carry on.

Latest posts

Back