Juniper Berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gestyr

Just an earthbound misfit
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I have acquired some dried juniper berries and plan to add some to a 5 gallon batch of IPA. Any suggestions for quantity?

A quick search for me, showed a few people say 1 oz crushed in the last 15-10 min. I imagine that would give it a good kick, considering how strong the flavors are. They also mention putting them in a bag so that you can pull them.

A quick search for me, showed a few people say 1 oz crushed in the last 15-10 min. I imagine that would give it a good kick, considering how strong the flavors are. They also mention putting them in a bag so that you can pull them.
Yeah that is what I was figuring but I like to hear other opinions. :)

Yeah that is what I was figuring but I like to hear other opinions. :)

Keep me in the loop with how it goes. I am looking at doing a lot of things like this when I move. Been looking at mountain sage and goose berries and fruit from the wild strawberry tree as a few things I want to try down the road.

1 oz in the boil will be *incredibly* strong. I prefer to just do them in secondary — a half oz will give a pleasant flavor that doesn’t overwhelm.

To get good flavor, crush the berries slightly to break up the seeds a bit. I love using juniper berries in pork dishes, never thought of trying it in a beer tho, so I'm looking forward to your results!

I've done as much as 4oz in my sahti-style brew, split between the mash and boil (I know you don't boil a true sahti). It wasn't overpowering IMO, but I'm going to dial it back next time to 2oz regardless so it isn't as much of a 1-note beer.

I did a juniper IPA using foraged high desert juniper berries, and around an ounce at the end of the boil was REALLY strong — to the point that I was blending at the faucet with a regular IPA to cut the flavor (and I love gin!). Maybe they were more potent — but I did find (on a subsequent brew) that half an oz of commercial juniper berries in the fermenter was plenty of flavor.

Back