Juniper Berries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesmr_1991

Reaction score
So i'm looking to make the mead that was mentioned in the opening of Skyrim.
All that's said is that it's mead with juniper berries in it, problem is i'm still a newbie at mead making and have never tried juniper berries.
But what i've seen in an episode of the creature hub and they tried it with some apples and cinnamon.
Anyone know a good recipe i could add some of these berries to?
I might just add them to an apple cinnamon mead and see how it turns out.

I use them in my Christmas light lager. 3g/gal in the last 15 minutes of the boil works well.

Funny. Skyrim is what inspired me to try my hand at mead. Something about the way those Nords talk about the mead... I was like "I'm going to have to give this a try".
I've never tasted a juniper berry in my life, so I don't know if I want them in there or not.

I have never tasted a juniper berry but i have drank a commercial spirit flavoured with juniper berries (Borovicka-common drink in Slovakia), it tasted very much like Gin.

So anyone got any ideas? The apple and cinnamon mead is a backup in case i got nothing and i might make it next week.

I would just make a traditional mead recipe, but I would boil the juniper berries to make a tea and add that. As for amounts I have no experience using juniper berries so I can't help there.

Ok had a thought, maybe a white grape pyment with the apples and juniper berries added after the fermentation. That sound good? I haven't tried a pyment yet but they sound great.

Fill a small bottle or test tube with some of the mead, cover the mouth of the container with your thumb and shake it for all you're worth. Remove your thumb from the mouth. If you hear a pop (or if the bottle fills with bubbles) then you know that there is enough CO2 in there to degas...

Back