Juniper Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwmalthead22

Reaction score
I've made a farmhouse in the past with a heavy juniper punch, and it turned out decent. I've also read about the Swedish and Finnish brews using Juniper. But I'm looking for something a little more subtle. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?:

3lb pilsen DME
3lb bohemian dark floor malt (think munich)
1oz Southern Dawn pellets
1oz Spalter hops
14g Hallertau pellets
24g juniper berries

Looks like a good addition of Juniper. When are you going to add it? Did you pick the berries or source them online/lbs?
What type of Yeast are you using?

Juniper goes great with Rye as well.

I've made a farmhouse in the past with a heavy juniper punch, and it turned out decent. I've also read about the Swedish and Finnish brews using Juniper. But I'm looking for something a little more subtle. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?:

24g juniper berries

The Norwegian farmhouse brews at least, don't use berries at all. They boil twigs in the mash water, which gives a slightly astringent, lemony flavour that's completely different to the bitterness you get from berries and would certainly be more subtle.

Some don't use hops at all, but most seem to FWH a bit of eg Saaz or Goldings.

It's also worth noting that they're typically home malting over wood, so a bit of smoked malt would be appropriate - I'd start low until you've seen how much juniperiness you can extract, then ramp up the smoked to balance it. See eg

http://zythophile.co.uk/2017/10/06/fjord-fiesta-the-norwegian-farmhouse-ales-festival-2017/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/375.html (and the rest of Lars' blog)

Yeah I've read about and made sahti? I think it's called. I'm going a bit different direction with this one. I've read of some recipes (less popular/common) in Norway using rye and juniper berries, too. The smoke malt is a great idea for a more traditional brew! I'll keep that in mind.
I also like to Kveik Yeast from Norway.
Thanks for the input and info guys!

Back